Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Eickhorn short police bayonet.

Article about: Hi, This is my police bayonet by Eickhorn I believe these were made during the third Reich as opposed to cut down Weimar types it has plated aluminium hilt that has lost a fair bit of it's p

Default Eickhorn short police bayonet.

Hi, This is my police bayonet by Eickhorn I believe these were made during the third Reich as opposed to cut down Weimar types it has plated aluminium hilt that has lost a fair bit of it's plating which I think is common for these with Staghorn grips and aluminium grip eagle. The scabbard is a dark brown leather with the frog stud being painted dark brown and the frog is also brown leather does this make it Rural Police? It is listed in the Eickhorn catalogue as item 1320 and designated "Extra:Seitengewehr". The blade is not brilliant as there is wear to the plating but no damage or nicks I think the trademark is the post 1941 Eickhorn trademark? The troddel I think is correct but not 100% sure? it certainly seems to have always been on this frog. All comments/opinions welcome.
    Thanks, Andy.
    Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eickhorn short police bayonet.
    P
    Many

That's another very nice acquisition Andy. And a good reference example for us of a late Third Reich Polizei Seitengewehr. These are faked using deconstructed KS98's but this is authentic. We see the slightly longer (than a Ks98) 13 inch blade. As you point out, the smaller rivets and the trademark is the expected 1941-42 version.
    The very nice frog is rural Police, the black scabbard suggests municipal. But I'm not sure if by 1942 they were still making brown leather scabbards. So still could be correct. Most likely a private purchase sidearm and the frog is correct. The eagle insignia for a late example we probably would expect not to have the hollow background. So the emblem may be a replacement?

?

Lovely one!
    Anderson might has a point there regarding the Gripeagle, not a textbook one there.

Ger

Hi,
    Thanks for your comments I didn't know about the grip eagle maybe being wrong does this mean if it's a replacement earlier type that it's wrong on this bayonet or could it have been there from the start as used up stock? I have tried to get some close ups of it but it's difficult, anyway after cleaning out the dust and crud underneath it looks like there are two pins underneath one about where the swastika is and the other (which I can't get a photo of because of the angle but can see with my eyes) appears to be somewhere between the top of the chest and lower neck of the eagle but as I said it's virtually impossible to photograph them. Don't know if this helps in any way? but at least I haven't found any sign of glue! which I presume is a good sign. Also I took a shot of the scabbard under brighter lighting as the leather does look brown to me but I can also see black in the recesses of the two vertical lines each side of the scabbard so maybe it looks brown because the finish is worn away? Anyway with the points/faults observed is this in your opinions still a good piece and is it quite scarce? Lots of questions again I apologise but I am trying to learn as much as possible. Regards, Andy.
    Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.Eickhorn short police bayonet.

It's a good piece. I don't think the emblem is a cause of concern. There was a type seen in late production that was not hollowed out. But if this one on your bayonet is well secured by two pins, and no sign of disturbance of rivets and grip plates, I think we can except it as "original" as I don't think anyone can definitively date when or if the later type fully replaced the earlier type.

As an example only the photo here shows the difference.

Hi Anderson,
    That's very reassuring thanks for your input I have seen the solid type eagle before but I think it was on a sword.
    Regards, Andy.
    Quote by Anderson View Post
    It's a good piece. I don't think the emblem is a cause of concern. There was a type seen in late production that was not hollowed out. But if this one on your bayonet is well secured by two pins, and no sign of disturbance of rivets and grip plates, I think we can except it as "original" as I don't think anyone can definitively date when or if the later type fully replaced the earlier type.

As an example only the photo here shows the difference.

Grofaz,

I think this is a very nice example of a late production private purchase Polizei bayonet. The over the shoulder mark is fairly uncommon to encounter. The ones I've seen, including the one in my collection, all seem to have nice knobby stag as opposed to some other manufacturers from the same period.

The grip emblem, known as the "wide-winged" variety, was used prewar to late in the period & would not be a concern for me. It is well detailed & appears to be affixed properly.

The solid shield-type was also used quite late but is generally only seen on certain maker bayonets, including CJ Krebs & Clemen & Jung. They appear more often because Tom Johnson has sold them for years & people have used some to tart up denazified examples.

Hallo,

yes this is original Walking Out / Dress Bayonet of the police in the TR. The frog is also a walking out version.