Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Feurwehr - Faschinemesser - Long Model by Alcoso & New Portepee

Article about: I've had this bayonet in my collection for many years now, I picked it up in a mixed lot that came with an SA buckle and belt. Although I don't really collect Daggers, I always wanted to rep

?

Default Feurwehr - Faschinemesser - Long Model by Alcoso & New Portepee

I've had this bayonet in my collection for many years now, I picked it up in a mixed lot that came with an SA buckle and belt. Although I don't really collect Daggers, I always wanted to replace the missing portepee. As you can see in the photo it came with the braided strap and no knot. I just recently picked up this beautiful replacement portepee and ironically it cost more than the original price on the whole lot I bought years ago. I'm hoping I got the right one after seeing an old thread on how the portepee knot and color depended on the type of blade long vs short. I also need to figure out how to properly tie it on to the frog. Unfortunately I didn't realize the braid was weak in one area and partially split it when I attempted to pull the knot tight.

Feurwehr - Faschinemesser - Long Model by Alcoso & New PortepeeFeurwehr - Faschinemesser - Long Model by Alcoso & New Portepee
    Feurwehr - Faschinemesser - Long Model by Alcoso & New PortepeeFeurwehr - Faschinemesser - Long Model by Alcoso & New Portepee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feurwehr - Faschinemesser - Long Model by Alcoso & New Portepee
    P
    Many

Short answer; you have the correct Fire portepee & faschinenmesser for an enlisted man. I would suggest though that if the leather is dried and liable to crack, don't risk attaching it to the frog.
    This type with the red & silver stripe bulb and red dot is correct up until say 1940. After 1940 under Polizei administration the Polizei portepee (silver knot or green & sliver stripe knot) was used on Feurwehr side arms. By that time the Feuerwehr had become Feuerschutzpolizei. So your example would correctly reflect a mid 1930's situation.

?

Thank you for clarifying this for me, you've been very helpful. Unfortunately not being familiar with these I did attempt to attach it to the frog and it cracked, however the silver braids are still holding it together. Live and learn.

Regards, Al