Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID Dress Bayonet (Police?)

Article about: This bayonet is in a collection I inherited and I'm wanting to learn as much about the piece as I can. Any information on authenticity and history would be welcomed. I have some questions on

?

Default ID Dress Bayonet (Police?)

This bayonet is in a collection I inherited and I'm wanting to learn as much about the piece as I can. Any information on authenticity and history would be welcomed. I have some questions on the originality of scabbard and knot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID Dress Bayonet (Police?)   ID Dress Bayonet (Police?)  

ID Dress Bayonet (Police?)   ID Dress Bayonet (Police?)  

ID Dress Bayonet (Police?)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ID Dress Bayonet (Police?)
    P
    Many

Looks like a nice police bayonet IMO. Congrats.
    John

Yes, a Police side arm, not functionally a bayonet. The blade, which you haven't shown a photo, may have been shortened as originally this type had a longer blade. Dates from the mid 1930's, the scabbard looks brown which is provincial Police. The frog and troddel however are not correct, and shouldn't be with this bayonet. Overall nice condition example.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Yes, a Police side arm, not functionally a bayonet. The blade, which you haven't shown a photo, may have been shortened as originally this type had a longer blade. Dates from the mid 1930's, the scabbard looks brown which is provincial Police. The frog and troddel however are not correct, and shouldn't be with this bayonet. Overall nice condition example.
    Can you explain more about the frog and troddel? This was part of an inherited collection and trying to learn about it. In just my untrained eye the scabbard was originally black and the leather is showing through. But, I could be wrong. I can get a pic of the full blade if interested.

The Troddel appears to be a Heer (Army) NCO type. Can't comment on the scabbard. NH

Regarding the frog, I can't see the markings but from what I can see my sense of it is that its of German Army origin. Best Regards, Fred

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Regarding the frog, I can't see the markings but from what I can see my sense of it is that its of German Army origin. Best Regards, Fred
    I'll get some detailed pics of the frog and markings for ID.

?

Does anyone know why there are plugged holes on the lower part of the grips? Would this be from a re purposed K98 army?

OhDumb, (I did not call anyone dumb in this post ) brings up a good point that I did not notice at all, apologies. I do not know why there would be filled holes in the wood grips. The fit also does not look very good when you enlarge the pic. Maybe that is why I get taken to often. Look at the details!
    John

Extra holes in Police staghorn grips are seen from time to time, especially where a Police bayonet from the Weimar period has had the grips removed to fit the Nazi Police emblem. Other times it may be simple recycling of parts in the factory (wartime shortages etc), or simply a Monday morning misalignment with the drill. Nothing to be worried about, it is a genuine Police sidearm. I suggest you view the excellent WRF archive threads to get familiar with the type, Police frogs and troddel. Your frog is for a combat K98 bayonet..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast