Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizei

Article about: Hi, I've been collecting imperial bayonets for a while, but I wandered into the third reich with these two pieces: Both are V-notched re-issued 98/05 bayonets to the early nazi-era police. O

Default Imperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizei

Hi,

I've been collecting imperial bayonets for a while, but I wandered into the third reich with these two pieces:

Both are V-notched re-issued 98/05 bayonets to the early nazi-era police. One is marked '1920' and is still in the white (or so it seems - the color is a bit 'off' and I'm guessing it was cleaned in a not so good way), the other is beautifully blued and has a machtig (?) brown leather frog and a Schutzpolizei portepee. What I find very interesting is the difference in V-notches. The first bayonet has a rather deep notch. You can clearly see the spring-stud mechanism at work. Yes... at work! This one is still fixable to a rifle. The second bayonet had a more solid modification and can no longer be used as a bayonet. The stud has been ground flat and somewhat filled, neatly done.

I have bought polizei portepee's recently, but I'm still looking to match a polizei-frog to the '1920' marked bayonet.

Sadly, none of these have any police regimental markings - only weapon numbers.

Any thoughts anyone? What would be a matching frog? Does it have to be a 1930's piece, or were Imperial frogs still in use...?

Imperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizei

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizei
    P
    Many

?

Kris you are 100% correct with your thoughts on these bayonets. These were modified for early police units after the war during the inflation period. I have only seen a handful of these as not many survived the years.

Imperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizeiImperial 98/05 bayonets re-issued to the (Schutz)polizei

Hello,

At that time many 98/05 frogs from WK1 production were still in use. Some of these can still be found in new condition today. There were probably corresponding depot stocks.

But new frogs were also produced from around the mid-1920s.

Here, for example, is one from the manufacturer G.J Ensink & Co. Marienthal in Thüringen from 1927

Here is a frog for the "Wehrgehänge" of the Bavarian staate police from 1928

And here's another one from the Bremen police from 1931. This frog was made without rivets.

Interesting thread you guys.

?

Looks like a nice S98/05 used by police, the blank one looks like a chemically entrusted, reworked to Sidearms in that case.

?

Very interesting that they used these that late or do you think those are replacement frogs?

Hello,

no, these are orders on demand. Frogs were wearing products and had to be renewed regularly.
    Frogs for the S98 / 05 were made until the 1940's.

They were made in three colors. Brown, black and white.
    Sometimes they were also made from synthetic leather.

Here are some examples of S98 / 05 frogs from the 1930's and 1940's