Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

police bayonet

Article about: hello this is a police dagger, my uncle brought it back from war in 1945 he said there was the eagle on it i don t know much about it, as my uncle passed away long years ago there is only on

?

Default clamshell police bayonet i.d

hello
    this is my police dagger, my uncle brought it back from war in 1945
    he said there was the eagle on it
    i don t know much about it, as my uncle passed away long years ago
    there is only one hole for the insignia
    third reich police eagle or weimar?

maybe my english is not so good..

police bayonetpolice bayonetpolice bayonetpolice bayonet

thank you for helping
    Last edited by jeanmi; 05-14-2021 at 10:55 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement police bayonet
    P
    Many

Photos not very good, but this is an authentic TR era "clamshell" Polizei side arm with the 25cm blade. These were a dress type rather than an issued service side arm.

?

thank you for your reply, i ll make some better photos
    i did these last nightn so the light is not the better

?

so, what about the missing insignia?

?

A very nice piece and one that is harder to locate. I have been looking for one for my collection for some time. You have a nice keep sake from your uncle to be cherished for sure.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

Prior to the centralizing of the German Police forces in 1936, many Police units wore very long bayonets equipped with a clamshell crossguard; these bayonets were equipped with blades as long as 18 inches. The obverse stag grip plate was affixed with a six-sided nickel Police insignia. The hilt was cast in nickel, having a pommel shape in the form of an eagle head and a quillon decorated with oak leaves. The scabbard was of black or brown leather, having matching nickel mounts. Police Officers wore a private purchase variety which also retained the clamshell device, but was of smaller overall proportion and was equipped with standard short blade. The German Customs also wore bayonets with clamshells, however, they had no grip insignia.
    After Hitler came to power, the many German Police organizations still operating through their respective states and provinces were centralized under the guidance of SS-Reichsführer Himmler. The previous sidearm, a very long bayonet with clamshell addition, was altered to suit the newly formed Police. The new weapon was reworked and reissued having the following characteristics; the blade length was reduced to 13 inches, the clamshell was removed, the grip was shortened, and the new 3rd Reich Police grip insignia replaced the Weimar six-sided grip insignia. Since adequate numbers of reworked bayonets were available, few newly produced weapons were required. The weapon's hilt consisted of a nickel eaglehead pommel, oak-leafed quillon, and stag grip plates with Police insignia on obverse. The scabbard was black or brown leather with matching nickel mounts. The re-pointed blade normally is nickel plated.
    Usually matching numbers will appear on the reverse quillon and upper scabbard fitting reverse. These bayonets can be found slotted for rifle mount or plain.

?

Hi Rossi
    thank you for your reply
    the eagle and swastika i saw for these bayonnets, have two pins , mine has only one.

?

I believe the Prussian eagle insignia had only one post. The Third Reich Adler insignia has 2 posts.

police bayonet

?

it was also my idea
    thank you

Private purchase side arms with clamshells were available to about 1938. Insignia was probably up to the buyer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast