Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

polizei bayonet - Coppel

Article about: i have an opportunity to purchase a police bayonet but my concern is there is a hole in grip below emblem - is it common or does it indicate something was changed? rest of bayonet set looks

Default polizei bayonet - Coppel

i have an opportunity to purchase a police bayonet but my concern is there is a hole in grip below emblem - is it common or does it indicate something was changed? rest of bayonet set looks right and good except the markings on hilt do not match markings on scabbard - Hilt is SKg624 and scabbard is SAr I.1066. There is also some markings on the spine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture polizei bayonet - Coppel   polizei bayonet - Coppel  

polizei bayonet - Coppel   polizei bayonet - Coppel  

polizei bayonet - Coppel  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement polizei bayonet - Coppel
    P
    Many

It's an authentic piece but remember around 1936 these Weimar Republic period seitengewehr were modified to the new Third Reich specification, this included shortening the blade and changing the Polizei badge on the grip with the Third Reich design. I would suggest the hole below the grip badge was either a pin hole for the earlier badge or a mistake made during the 1936 modifications, which were done by Police Armourers, not professional cutlers. The badge and rivets are correct.
    This was a Prussian Police side arm used at municipal sites, Kg; Keonigsberg, and Ar; Arnsberg and does show that surplus equipment was transferred between districts.
    Can we see a photo of the scabbard?

Yes i also did some checking in the collecting bayonets book by maddox and it say during the reconditioning/transitioning/shortening of the police bayonet they filled in holes on the grip with putty so maybe this fell out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture polizei bayonet - Coppel   polizei bayonet - Coppel  

markings on scabbard
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture polizei bayonet - Coppel  

In the 1936 revision the "clam shell" was removed and the stag horn grip plates shortened which means many have a filled in rivet hole near the cross bar.
    Some collectors prefer matching marks on scabbard and crossguard, but it's difficult, if not impossible to be sure when that mismatch occurred. It could have been at the Polizei armoury, or on a dealers table after the war. Personally, mismatches don't bother me, and add to the history of the piece.

Photo; Berlin Polizei 1930. How many Policemen does it take to untangle a rope?

polizei bayonet - Coppel

?

Same opinion the hole should be from previous emblem configuration, it could be the grips are used on older bayonet and were shortened, sometimes is visible the lower hole for rivet. Any stamps on frog backside? as this looks like a Wehrmacht version.

frog - no markings that I can make out in picture.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture polizei bayonet - Coppel  

so should the fact that the scabbard number does not match the bayonet number be held againts its purchase or collectability?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Some collectors prefer matching marks on scabbard and crossguard, but it's difficult, if not impossible to be sure when that mismatch occurred. It could have been at the Polizei armoury, or on a dealers table after the war. Personally, mismatches don't bother me, and add to the history of the piece.
    As Anderson stated above.... it depends what happened during that time period and personal collector preference.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The numbers not matching is not necessarily a detraction but it doesn’t make it as desirable as a matched set. Matching numbers will usually add a small premium.

I agree that the lower hole is from a prior grip emblem and is completely original.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast