Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polizei Clamshell bayonet / SA Feldjagerkorps

Article about: New to my blade collection is a type I have been after for a while and it seems to be a nice example. An shorter version, Eickhorn made Prussian Polizei bayonet which has had the Prussian Po

Default Polizei Clamshell bayonet / SA Feldjagerkorps

New to my blade collection is a type I have been after for a while and it seems to be a nice example.

An shorter version, Eickhorn made Prussian Polizei bayonet which has had the Prussian Polizei emblem replaced with the short lived Prussian/Third Reich emblem.

I'm led to believe that these bayos are sometimes referred to as SA Feldjagerkorps bayonets

Everything appears to be original, even has the steel rivets through the stag handled grip.

However, the only possible concern I have is the following;

On the grip you can see where the Prussian Police emblem has been removed and rather than the replacement being placed in the grip, it appears to have been glued onto the stag horn.

I will post these images at the top for those "in the know"

Should this be of concern to me? I'm not experienced enough to judge this and can't seem to find information on the web on what was "proper practice" if there was such a thing.

I hope you like the photos and I look forward to any words of advice.

Thanks

Jamie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Polizei Clamshell bayonet / SA Feldjagerkorps
    P
    Many

Unfortunately it appears that the emblem is incorrect. I kinda had a feeling when I saw the scrape marks on the stag horn and then the flag was the glue and pinhole
    Back to the dealer it goes

I'm afraid I don't like it either. The Eickhorn trademark without the "CE" I believe is from the 1933/34 period and crude filing of the grips to fit the Polizei emblem by glue is improbable. Especially as we know in 1936 when the TR badges were fitted the rivets and grips were removed to fit the emblem. I can't imagine the earlier badge, (which is getting a bit late anyway for this particular seitengewehr) would be fitted that way. I have not seen another fitted like that.

Late to the party on this one but thought I'd chime in. I would agree that based on the Feldjäger emblem that there should not be an additional hole in the stag grip which would denote a replacement emblem being added. We see this often enough on Weimar Polizei bayonets that have been cut down, had the clamshells removed and blades shortened. This bayonet, however, has the Feldjäger emblem which in theory would have been removed following the assimilation of the FJK into the Polizei. This bayonet however is an officer length, private purchase item so we do occasionally see these bayonets with their original emblems and still adorned by the clamshell device. But this recycled grip plate wouldn't be on such an item.

A major part of the value of this bayonet would be in that emblem and whether or not it was period affixed to this bayonet. The emblem itself is quite shiny and seems out of place and the rivets, although oxidized, do not appear period done either IMHO. I believe even if X-rayed, the hilt would show a correct pinning through the grip plate because I believe the entire hilt was taken down to attach the new emblem "properly" and then the bayonet was rehilted.

My sense of it is someone ruined a very nice clamshell bayonet trying to make more selling it. And I also believe a collecting friend showed me this very piece a year or two ago and had the same concerns. These items are sought after and desirable so the temptation is definitely there to embellish an ordinary item into the extraordinary. A very good move returning this example.