Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Real or fake POLICE DRESS BAYONET DAGGER EARLY EICKHORN

Article about: Hi I was wondering if anyone can verify for me if this is real or fake. From my research it looks right but I am still learning.

Default Real or fake POLICE DRESS BAYONET DAGGER EARLY EICKHORN

Hi I was wondering if anyone can verify for me if this is real or fake. From my research it looks right but I am still learning.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or fake POLICE DRESS BAYONET DAGGER EARLY EICKHORN   Real or fake POLICE DRESS BAYONET DAGGER EARLY EICKHORN  

Real or fake POLICE DRESS BAYONET DAGGER EARLY EICKHORN   Real or fake POLICE DRESS BAYONET DAGGER EARLY EICKHORN  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real or fake POLICE DRESS BAYONET DAGGER EARLY EICKHORN
    P
    Many

Very real, and a very interesting one. Made at the very end of the Weimar Republic to early Third Reich, it has a very unusual coding on the crossbar. The town of Goslar is written in full, rather than one or two letters. The ST.P.V are also unusual and I can only speculate the first part relates to "Schutzpolizei" and V is Precinct number 5. Weapon issue number 26 on end of crossbar. Be interesting to see photo of the full blade, but a good find as Polizei seitengewehr with town or city name written in full is fairly rare to find.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Very real, and a very interesting one. Made at the very end of the Weimar Republic to early Third Reich, it has a very unusual coding on the crossbar. The town of Goslar is written in full, rather than one or two letters. The ST.P.V are also unusual and I can only speculate the first part relates to "Schutzpolizei" and V is Precinct number 5. Weapon issue number 26 on end of crossbar. Be interesting to see photo of the full blade, but a good find as Polizei seitengewehr with town or city name written in full is fairly rare to find.
    Thank You Her are some photos of the blade
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or fake POLICE DRESS BAYONET DAGGER EARLY EICKHORN   Real or fake POLICE DRESS BAYONET DAGGER EARLY EICKHORN  

And the Third Reich era shortened blade looks in nice condition. Great find.

?

its a very nice one you show.
    As Anderson states a shortened blade.
    Looking at the shape i think it had a retip later on in his life also.
    The shape is not what i expect to see on a professional shortened blade.
    Sharpening-grindind marks are visible at the tip imo.

Regards
    Ger

That's a very interesting Polizei Seitengewehr. I've never seen a unit mark on a Polizei piece exactly like that but I have seen the "ST." unit type mark on several fire bayonets that had the mark on the crossguard as well as stamped into the leather frog. Those bayonets were all '35-'41 marked Eickhorns. I like this one a lot.

Specifically the mark I have seen was "ST Z.W." with an accountability number afterward. I've never been able to figure out what the abbreviation was for although I presumed "ST" was for Stettin.

?

The shortage of blade looks ok, about the handle, there are strange rivets on grips, same as this is a strange Police unit marked of Goslar?.Should be examined what is this for marking, compared on other stamps for size and fonts. b.r.Andy

The letter fonts do vary on these depending on what district the seitengewehr was associated. Berlin Polizei "S.B." are similar, but other cities, towns do have slightly different font which shows the marking was not done centrally but locally. You would need to find another Goslar Police sidearm to make a meaningful comparison.