Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich Fireman's Axe

Article about: I am completely out of my element here! All help is appreciated. Unlike any I've seen on Wittmann's site...what do you think? Anzel

?

Default Third Reich Fireman's Axe

I am completely out of my element here! All help is appreciated. Unlike any I've seen on Wittmann's site...what do you think?
    Anzel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich Fireman's Axe   Third Reich Fireman's Axe  

Third Reich Fireman's Axe   Third Reich Fireman's Axe  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich Fireman's Axe
    P
    Many

I've never seen one with a Swastika boldly displayed on the axe-blade like that before, which instantly raises my suspicions...looking forward to other opinions...
    cheers, Glenn

The above style axe is similar to a number of Feuerwehr axes I've observed over time. Most of this type had non-etched blades but had plates on the stem where a presentation might have been added for a retirement or service milestone. The blade on this axe is interesting & might be period.

The embellishment of the swaz on the blade is a tough thing because there's no telling when it might have been added. If an unscrupulous collector or dealer were to add one thing to an otherwise ordinary item, what would it be? Generally a swaz because that might sell the item itself & cause some collectors to overlook other issues.

I've collected Feuerwehr related items for about 15 years & have never seen this blade type before. The swaz would definitely give me pause additionally because Feuerwehr daggers, swords, bayonets & axes that are presented/personalized, rarely show such a symbol. The tradition of the German Feuerwehr long preceded the 3R & has long outlived it so it was not an organization that specifically prided itself as political or particularly fascist. I would buy this axe myself but as an oddity only, & likely not pay a premium for it. Just my thoughts.

The neck and shoulder of the axe handle appears to be rectangular in shape whereas the head and ferrule are round, as is the cap over the eye. The fit is poor and clearly distorted by the head being canted forward. To me that alone indicates that this is at best a put together piece, no way would it have been manufactured like that as a prestigious presentation award for services rendered or time served, it's embarrassingly poor. Maybe two original parts from seperate axes cobbled together? Whatever, not one for me.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thank you gentlemen! I will let this collect dust elsewhere.