Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...

Article about: Hi all. I'm usually posting to ask questions or get feedback, but today I just wanted to share a recent oddball item I just acquired. I say oddball because I typically only collect TR, but t

?

Default Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...

Hi all. I'm usually posting to ask questions or get feedback, but today I just wanted to share a recent oddball item I just acquired. I say oddball because I typically only collect TR, but this Prussian Police Bayonet crossed my path the other day and I had to have it. Got it for a good price too Overall she's in nice shape. The blade has some rough spots, but I think the rest of the piece makes up for it.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...
    P
    Many

?

Nice to see a rare, shorter blade clamshell that isn't a cutdown, very hard to find! A little polish with some "Flitz" or "Semichrome" and you would be surprised how much better the blade will look.

Jim

?

Thanks for sharing this lovely Police bayonet, a hard to find one in a great condition.
    Nice detailed clamshell eagle!

Regards,
    Ger

?

Thanks guys! Jim, is "Flitz" or "Semichrome" anything like Renwax, because I have Renwax and if they all do the same thing it'll save me from buying another product. On the other hand, if they're different in what they each do, I'm happy to spend the money. Also, which would you recommend more of these three products?

?

"Flitz" or "Semichrome" are really fine polishes. I use Flitz and find it to be excellent at removing staining and oxidation without harming the plating or even bluing. I normally use it to clean and then seal it up with Ren Wax.

Jim

This bayonet has a lot going for it, I love it. Great maker mark which overlapped into the 3R, terrific workmanship, a clamshell & a scarcer, short blade which was never cut down. I guess the icing on the cake is that you scored this example on the cheap, that always helps.

I agree that this blade might benefit from a cautious application of Simichrome or Flitz. These products are both polishes & need to be used gingerly although a plated blade such as this will be a little more forgiving than, say a polished dagger blade. Whatever you decide, do as little as possible since this piece has lasted decades as is. I would add a proper frog & knot though

?

Looking at the crisp detailed clam shell and looking at the overall condition, the only conclusion can be: a true beauty all the way.
    I came accross one that looks a lot like yours, but also has different details.
    Different eagle on clamshell, different police emblem, with the lightning bolts.
    If the Gents would take a look and tell me their thoughts?
    I hope you dont mind that im using your post, but its a great example to compare with this one.
    Regards,
    Ger
    Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...

?

I have really studied this one very hard, especially since the last one I didn't like turned out OK. At 1st glance some things look alright, but I just cant get past the soft details of the crossguard, the Weimar eagle and the clamshell. I don't like the scabbard and frog either, but you can't get a good zoom on any of the pictures. One other thing is the distributors mark, Horst Wolf is a known distributor, but I have only ever seen it on firemans bayonets. The mark, however, does look right. So, what do we have here? I'm curious to see what others think.

Jim

?

Jim the seller doesnt provide better pics then these, that is not a good sign normally.
    These pics are the best i can do, the frog looks way to new for the rest, and probably would be a repro.
    I just cant make up my mind if its a good one...here are better pics!
    Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...Weimar Prussian Clamshell Police Bayonet - just acquired...

?

Now that I see the back and can zoom in on other features, I really don't like it at all. I keep getting stuck on the distributors mark, it looks absolutely genuine, for a firemans faschinemesser. To me it looks like a Frankenstein, reproduction handle mated to a genuine fascinemesser blade. Hopefully Billy will comment, he has far more experience than I with police sidearms.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast