Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Soviet flag

Article about: Hello everyone, I am posting this in order to display this nice Soviet flag I have found, it is made out of 6 cotton panels with the hammer and sickle hand sewn to it, the fabric type is qui

?

Default WW2 Era Soviet flag

Hello everyone,

I am posting this in order to display this nice Soviet flag I have found, it is made out of 6 cotton panels with the hammer and sickle hand sewn to it, the fabric type is quite transparent, something I have seen in certain wartime picture in which flags appear. Thank you
    WW2 Era Soviet flag
    WW2 Era Soviet flag
    WW2 Era Soviet flag

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Soviet flag
    P
    Many

?

What makes you so sure it's WW2 era flag?

?

The shape of the hammer and sickle, the fact that it was hand stiched, the crude look to it. I also ran UV tests and they came out okay

Flags using this specific design tend to date from before 1953, but aren't necessarily wartime. I've always referred to them as 'Stalin-era' flags myself.

Here's my one, previously identified on this forum as being postwar, but pre-1953.

WW2 Era Soviet flag

Also worth noting, UV tests only prove that the item is old, not that it belongs to a specific time period. They're also not one hundred percent reliable, as synthetic fabrics were in widespread use by the 1930's.

Regards, B.B.

?

Quote by Poteto View Post
    The shape of the hammer and sickle, the fact that it was hand stiched, the crude look to it. I also ran UV tests and they came out okay
    The shape of a hammer'n'sickle had no standard, it's a handmade thing and the flagmaker could use any shape he liked.
    It could be stiched anytime, not from 1941 to 1945.
    The crude look doesn't confirm it was made in WW2 era.
    UV test doesn't point to the date 1941-1945.

?

I understand, thanks for notifying me about the UV tests, to me the item does seem like it could fit the wartime period though, the problem is that it is indeed difficult to date these flags, as there is usually to trace of stamps or markings.

Quote by Poteto View Post
    I understand, thanks for notifying me about the UV tests, to me the item does seem like it could fit the wartime period though, the problem is that it is indeed difficult to date these flags, as there is usually to trace of stamps or markings.
    The sheer variety of these flags and the time period through which they were produced and used can make it very hard to date them, if not impossible. One will always be able to speculate on a particular flag being used during the war, but without concrete provenance it is just that; speculation. A nice historical piece from an extinct regime regardless, and a great compliment to a Soviet display.

B.B.

?

There were some special types of flags in the USSR - big and beautiful with some inscriptions and portraits, it's possible to date them but now I don't speak about them.
    Here we see a simple flag and there was no standard for such flags but the following: the red colour, the hammer and the sickle in the upper left corner. That's all. Could be with the star, could be not. These signs could be stiched or typed by paint.
    The Soviet Union was too huge and in it's different corners every flagmaker could produce different flags through all the Soviet times and it's almost impossible to date it.
    Looking at the photo of BrodieBartfast's flag I can tell that I saw such flags during my soviet youth in eighties, so I can't confirm by the photo that it was for sure made before 1953. I don't know what happened in 1953 which influenced so much on flag design to let smb distinguish 1952 flag from 1954 flag.
    Just my opinion.