Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Flag Banner Verification

Article about: Hello all.. wondering if you can assist me with your expertise! I have two banners.. One I really am convinced is original. But then I have this other one. This one I am not sure of. It has

?

Default Flag Banner Verification

Hello all.. wondering if you can assist me with your expertise! I have two banners.. One I really am convinced is original. But then I have this other one. This one I am not sure of. It has the double sided round white pattern sewn but appears like a zig zag stitching. My other banner is single stitching. The one I think is real I think was meant to be displayed outdoors so the fabric is heavier. I did the light test on both and they DO NOT GLOW under the black light. I just was stumped by the stitching.. The banner in question seems more like a modern day bed sheet along the sides of it.. See in the photos. Again it could be original.. I am not entirely sure... Here are the photos in question. Also keep in mind this banner is from a supposed very reputable source who I won't mention. Also FYI.. the symbol is stitched in the white circle on both sides.

(None of the photos include my other banner.. Just the banner in question.)

Many Thanks!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flag Banner Verification   Flag Banner Verification  

Flag Banner Verification   Flag Banner Verification  

Flag Banner Verification  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flag Banner Verification
    P
    Many

The zig zag stitching looks correct, here’s my flag that has the same style of stitching.

Flag Banner Verification

No issues with the zig zag stitching. This was a common method on TR period flags and banners. Many manufacturers used this method as it was a more secure method of attaching the roundel to the rest of the flag..

Just to clarify a myth as well.. Black lighting an object to test for Glow or No Glow is not a guarantee of an object not being from the period or from the period. Some of these items were washed by owners and veterans after the war causing them to glow... Detergents and other chemicals that contain phosphoresce will glow after washing... So just be cautious if this is your only method of determining authenticity. You may turn away from an original artifact simply due to the "Glow Test"...

Burn tests with small sections of loose string will also help determine cotton vs synthetics and rayon.. as well as knowing and feeling the types of textures and materials used..

If you could, take pictures of the entire banner/flag.. this way we can determine the type of banner this was,, Flag, vertical banner, podium hangar, etc.. These images here don't paint a clear picture.

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

?

Ok here are some more photos... Sorry I don't have enough space to lay this out properly... one round white piece is not perfectly round I think.. just FYI... there are quite a few stains and some light tears to it.

And I did the black light test just to give it a shot.. I know it's not definite but it did not glow like all my newer sheet's and pillows... lol...

I can take better photos... I'm just a little rushed with some other stuff at the moment... lol..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flag Banner Verification   Flag Banner Verification  

No worries,,

A nice vertical banner... I see no issues with this one..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty