Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gau Sydney (Australia) flag in thw Australian War Memorial

Article about: I was in Canberra on the weekend just gone, and was able to take a couple of nice photos of this flag, which is displayed in the War Memorial there. Annoyed from this ads?   it must hav

Default Gau Sydney (Australia) flag in thw Australian War Memorial

I was in Canberra on the weekend just gone, and was able to take a couple of nice photos of this flag, which is displayed in the War Memorial there.
    it must have been a pre-war flag associated with the German Embassy in Sydney....

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gau Sydney (Australia) flag in thw Australian War Memorial   Gau Sydney (Australia) flag in thw Australian War Memorial  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gau Sydney (Australia) flag in thw Australian War Memorial
    P
    Many

I posted the SS uniform they have there on here,everyone said its a dodgy one ..Love the War memorial, but they have to sort out the dodgy stuff..love the Sydney flag

?

It's not dodgy, this one has a long provenance....I believe it was related to the German embassy, they also had a building in Sydney's CBD, as Sydney was the largest city. It was confiscated at the start of the war, and gifted to the war memorial in 1947 after being found in storage at a Sydney police station....

I wasnt referring to the flag..i know the history of it..i was referring to the SS uniform
    LAH Untersturmfuhrer tunic and visor in Australian War Memorial

?

Sorry mate...read your post wrong..But yes, there's a few repro items in the AWM....last I was there, they had a original german gun, and built a sandbagged emplacement a round it, with a mix of original and repro items scattered about

With the blue trim on the corner patch, it would signify Ortsgruppen Sidney not Gau. I believe we have an old thread on a similar flag from London. Thanks for posting this interesting historical relic.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I know there was a fairly large hitler sympathiser group in South Australia.....I was lead to believe this flag was for a, one could say, regional office...

?

My apologies, this flag was from the German consulate in Sydney.....

As Bob says, this is an Ortsgruppe flag. In foreign countries there hardly were Gau-levels.
    The Gau-level was the Auslandsorganisation (in Germany). So there must have existed at
    Sydney an Ortsgruppe size group of political Germans. Looking at the condition this flag hardly
    will have flown in the open air with some German festivity.

An embassy did not carry such flag, they had their specific wall plaque. At the embassy would
    have flown a swastika flag: the Reichs-und Nationalflagge. As an embassy was an official
    office it is possible the Reichsdienstflagge was flown.

According a list from March 1938 Australia did not have a Botschaft nor Gesandschaft,
    but held a consulate at various cities: Adelaide and Melbourne. The Generalkonsulat was at
    Sydney. It is possible the NSDAP-office for the Ortsgruppe may have been in the same building,
    as this building also included the Berufsbehörde (an office for vocational guidance).
    This would be the type of wall plaque as to be used at Sydney. This form was introduced February
    2, 1939. So if indeed used, possibly only for a very short period of time.

Gau Sydney (Australia) flag in thw Australian War Memorial

I was told many years ago the same museum has the Hitler-Youth Bann-Fahne for Australia
    with the indication Australien. Is this correct?
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 10-22-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    I was told many years ago the same museum has the Hitler-Youth Bann-Fahne for Australia
    with the indication Australien. Is this correct?
    Im not sure about that Wim..ive only seen the Ortsgruppe flag

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast