Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help with flag identification

Article about: Hello I was wondering if I can get some info or comments on this flag, what it is, what it might have been for etc. I bought it for a fair price because the seller did not know whether it wa

?

Default help with flag identification

Hello
    I was wondering if I can get some info or comments on this flag, what it is, what it might have been for etc. I bought it for a fair price because the seller did not know whether it was repro or original & didn’t really know what it was for either. Apparently, it was acquired with a number of Hungarian uniforms so he surmised that it might be for the arrow cross, but that was just a supposition on his part. He said he did not know whether it was original, repro nor do I, but I bought it as I say for a fair price & figured it was probably modern, but again don’t really know for sure. If modern any ideas on what it would have been used for is appreciated also. There is a green circle around it which I have not found on any of the pictures of an Arrow cross flag, but I have seen variations in the arrow cross flags I have seen. It is roughly 14 ½ feet long and a little over 5 feet in width. It is completely double sided, almost as if two complete one sided flags were sewn together. It has a rip on one side and some soiling on each side, but not detractive. It is constructed of multiple pieces & very well constructed. Any help or info regarding it is much appreciated.
    help with flag identificationhelp with flag identificationhelp with flag identificationhelp with flag identificationhelp with flag identification
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help with flag identification  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement help with flag identification
    P
    Many

Hi there.

I can't help with authenticity, but it definitely looks like an Arrow Cross Part flag.

Arrow Cross Party, Hungarian Nyilaskeresztes Párt, Hungarian fascist organization that controlled the Hungarian government during World War II.

Arrow Cross Party | Hungarian organization | Britannica

File:Flag of the Arrow Cross Party 1937 to 1942.svg - Wikimedia Commons

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help with flag identification  

?

Will, thank you for your comments & it does look like an arrow cross flag but as I mentioned I really have no idea & bought it thinking it was probably a repro or something like that. The green circle around the symbol throws me in that I have found no arrow cross flags with green around it. I have attached a few more pics of closeups of the material etc. Thank you for those links to arrow cross. It is appreciated. pics below:help with flag identificationhelp with flag identificationhelp with flag identification

?

Arrow Cross material is as rare as hens teeth. I would try a UV light test to start

?

Vocht, thank you for your response. Yes, Arrow cross items are apparently as you say rare as hen's teeth. I did buy it thinking it was most likely a reproduction so I wouldn't be surprised or disullisioned if it is. I have attached a few pictures of it with a black light used on it. Some of the pics look as if the white does fluoresce and some not so much. I have placed a white t-shirt on it for comparison of the fluorescence. I can take more pics if necessary. thanks again & appreciate any comments from all
    Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help with flag identification   help with flag identification  

help with flag identification  

?

The UV test can be a false indicator, especially if the material has ever been laundered / cleaned with modern detergents..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Gwar, thanks for your comment & yes I have heard that if something has been laundered in modern detergent it could fluorese & that it's not a definitive method to tell if material is old or what. I bought it figuring it to most likely be a repro. I thought it was an interesting item no matter what. Thanks again & any other comments or info you or others have is appreciated.
    Bill

?

I recently had an arrowcross armband vetted by a guy in Hungary. Stampings should be the most obvious way to determine originality. Are there any?
    That said, most Arrowcross material in Hungarian museums is reproduction. It is just incredibly rare and knowledge about these items are limited unfortunately.

?

I can't find any stampings on it. The little I have read about arrow cross you are correct in that real items are very rare. I tend to go with this being a modern made item but would like to know for sure, and if it is made modern day, I'd like to find out what it was used for. It's pretty large for someone to have made just for the fun of it. A few people said they thought it might be a neo nazi type group that would have used it, that certainly is possible. Either way I'd like to know exactly what, if any, it's use was. What throws me is the green around the circle on the flag. Someone told me that they have seen an arrow cross flag with a green circle around it but I haven't found it in my searches yet. Perhaps I missed it. I have seen arrow cross pictures of the symbol in green, red I think and black but not with a circle around it. Thank you again for your comments & info and anything else you may have to add or find is appreciated.
    thanks again
    Bill

I think it's a nice find Duzig. IMO I think you would be hard pressed to find a banner of that size to be a reproduction/Neo nazi...but you never know with those Hungarians!....I'm allowed to say that as I'm 50% Hungarian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast