Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial German war flag, real or fake

Article about: I need help to identify if this flag is real or fake, I don’t specialize in flags but I really want a original imperial German war flag. Any info will help especially since it’s not chea

Default Imperial German war flag, real or fake

I need help to identify if this flag is real or fake, I don’t specialize in flags but I really want a original imperial German war flag. Any info will help especially since it’s not cheap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German war flag, real or fake   Imperial German war flag, real or fake  

Imperial German war flag, real or fake   Imperial German war flag, real or fake  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German war flag, real or fake
    P
    Many

Also it’s made of wool if that helps.

Hello Rmonde117,

Welcome to the forum..

Are there any marking on the hoist side of the flag? The overall flag looks quite faded, but it also looks intact..

Do you happen to know the dimensions?

I have attached a line drawing of the WW1 Imperial flag from the Flaggenbuch from the Kriegsmarine dated 1 December 1939.

The measurements are in centimeters for the entire flag so if you have those measurements you can compare with what was in the 1939 Flag book...

There are a few things that I am not liking about the flag pictured.. The "R" is missing from the breast of the bird and if you look at the Maltese Cross on the flag compared to the line drawing it is much thicker. There are some details on the crown that I am not too keen on either, but then again we are comparing a line drawing with a printed flag..

Wait for some other folks to chime in, but these are my observations..

Best regards..

Hope this helps..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German war flag, real or fake  

The R is there and the dimensions are 150 cm by 80 cm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German war flag, real or fake  

Ok,

Sorry, I didn't see it in the first shot..

So the dimensions are not quite 3x5 but close... 150 cm= 4.9 feet by 80cm=2.6 feet/ 4.9 ft. x 2.6 ft. Wool does have a tendency to shrink if in the elements..

The dimensions that I gave you from the book are for ships so they would have been much larger.. Regular size Imperial Flags form what I have seen are typically 3x5 which is close to yours..

Take a look at this link, and on page 3 the last entry, look at the Imperial Flag on the bottom right.. This one is WW1 era and matches the type of Eagle to include the beak position and the tongue position.. The crown is lacking some detail though on the one you posted compared to the one on page 3 of the link...

Although yours is quite faded it may stand a chance at being original.. I am not well versed on WW1 Imperial Flags, so again I would wait for others to add their thoughts..

It may take a bit for some other to respond as they may be in other parts of the world.. I am in the central US and it is late right now..

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...comparison.jpg

If you go the top right of the page you will see a Search Engine option.. Go there and type WW1 Imperial Flag and at the bottom of the page you will see where there are numerous topics on the flag that you can search through to get some better ideas..

Smitty

I don't see any issues with this flag. The construction is all correct for the period, such as the material, the corner reinforcements on the hoist side, and the multiple lines of stitching along the edges. The eagle also has good detail, in contrast to most fakes you'll see out there. Since it doesn't have any naval stamps along the header, it could be interwar rather than pre-1918, but not all WWI era kriegsflagges had header stamps either. In either case, I think it's a good one.