MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mare Island-Made RKF 1936

Article about: Thought I would share some photos of a new acquisition. This flag is an AMERICAN-MADE German RKF made for use by our naval warships when making port call to a German city. The flag is very l

Default Mare Island-Made RKF 1936

Thought I would share some photos of a new acquisition. This flag is an AMERICAN-MADE German RKF made for use by our naval warships when making port call to a German city. The flag is very large measuring in at 8' x 18'. It is constructed of multiple pieces of wool appliquéd together. It is a beautifully made flag, typical of US naval yard flags.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mare Island-Made RKF 1936   Mare Island-Made RKF 1936  

Mare Island-Made RKF 1936   Mare Island-Made RKF 1936  

Mare Island-Made RKF 1936  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mare Island-Made RKF 1936
    P
    Many

raz
    ?

Learned something new today , thanks for showing a flag I did not know was used on our ships much less made by us for this .

Very nice looking flag.. I did not know these existed...

Smitty

MAP
    ?

New to me as well. Those are HUGE!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks, the second flag I laid out for comparison is a 300 x 500 German-made and naval approved (Eagle M stamp) nazi ensign. That flag is a little bigger and is screen printed. I'm told by another collector that the 300 x 500 would've been used for a light cruiser. These flags are HUGE! But they're fairly thin so the don't take up much space.

I know of only 2 Mare Island RKF's. There's this one and a nearly identical one made in February 1936. I bet many of these American-made RKF's met unceremonious ends on December 8, 1941!

Sorry I’m late to the party. This is an amazing flag and one I would have never thought to have been made in the USA. Do you have any story pertaining this flag?
    Your collection is top notch.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks Marty, I appreciate it. Just happened to stumble across this one. There is no history available yet. It was an antique store find and unfortunately no background. It is a rarer flag though. The US navy yards made these first pattern RKF's in 1936 for use by our ships when visiting Germany. It was likely on a large US warship. Only wish I knew which one. I bet a lot of these were destroyed when the war started. Only a handful still live today, this being the second of 2 Mare Island made RKF's I can locate.

I haven't seen one of these in 40 years....loved it then and love it now......great shape and well preserved piece of americana....

Did you have one of these in the past? It really is a cool piece of Americana. The Mare Island Naval Yard made lots of flags during its existence. This had to be one of the more unusual ones in hindsight. I wish the flag could share its travels, it would be very interesting!

Very interesting! Wonder what else was made in America for Germany?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast