Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help in Identifying German Flag

Article about: Gents, Came across this what I think is an interesting flag. Have not seen one before. Looks like it has a hoist on one side, and rings on the other side. There are what looks like ties on t

Default Need Help in Identifying German Flag

Gents,

Came across this what I think is an interesting flag. Have not seen one before. Looks like it has a hoist on one side, and rings on the other side. There are what looks like ties on the top so not sure what it might have been used for? Hope someone can shed some light on this flag.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Need Help in Identifying German FlagNeed Help in Identifying German FlagNeed Help in Identifying German FlagNeed Help in Identifying German FlagNeed Help in Identifying German FlagNeed Help in Identifying German Flag

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help in Identifying German Flag
    P
    Many

Looks like a standard and typical vertical banner with additional rings added to the side to perhaps secure the banner to a pole so it will not blow too much in the winds. The flags/banners were often modified for other than normal hoisting on a flagpole and it appears this was modified for vertical hanging based on the notches at the top and rings on the side.

Smitty

Thanks Smitty. Never seen one modified like this one. Would be interesting to know where it came from but that is lost to history!

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Looks like a standard and typical vertical banner with additional rings added to the side to perhaps secure the banner to a pole so it will not blow too much in the winds. The flags/banners were often modified for other than normal hoisting on a flagpole and it appears this was modified for vertical hanging based on the notches at the top and rings on the side.

Smitty
    I concur. A "Banner" rather than a flag per se. Probably attached at one side and weighted or tethered at the other to keep it in the desired attitude.

It would be nice to know it's provenance I agree but of course there were tens of thousands if not more of such items at the height of TR fervour!

Nice item. Do you know anything about where it came from?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-01-2023 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The only I know it came out of Metz. He was with the 6th Cavalry and went all through Europe. Who know where it really came from! Thanks