MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Need help on some flags please

Article about: Hello everyone! New to collecting and need some help finding out if these flags are real or not. The youth flag I can't find any pictures like this one. The small flag the roundel appears to

Default Need help on some flags please

Hello everyone! New to collecting and need some help finding out if these flags are real or not. The youth flag I can't find any pictures like this one. The small flag the roundel appears to be real to me but not sure about the flag. I'm not sure if the roundel was taken off something else and sewn on. Also any tips on what to look for on flags to see if they are real would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help on some flags please   Need help on some flags please  

Need help on some flags please   Need help on some flags please  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help on some flags please
    P
    Many

Kevin,

Both of these flags are not authentic Third Reich period. The first flag or banner looks to be an Austrian flag that has a swastika emblem sewn to it. Swastika is too thin and the gromets are suspicious. Not sure why they would put gromets like these on this type of banner. Looks like someone was trying to make a vehicle ID pennant, maybe trying to pawn it off as a 12th SS Panzer Division (Hitler Jugen) vehicle ID banner. (Which would have been a complete fantasy item)

The second flag again looks to be pieced together. The roundel looks alright; however, I can't tell by the photos if the pin dot holes are ink marks for sewing or if they are actual stitch holes. The size of this roundel looks like it would have been on a smaller pennant or piece of cloth material.

I would not want either in my collection

Best regards

Smitty

Thank you very much! Hopefully I can learn some stuff on here so I won't waste more money on fake items. Any suggestions on books or websites or whatever that tells what to look for in real flags or any cloth material? Thanks again.

?

Quote by Kevin Only View Post
    Thank you very much! Hopefully I can learn some stuff on here so I won't waste more money on fake items. Any suggestions on books or websites or whatever that tells what to look for in real flags or any cloth material? Thanks again.
    Hey Kevin,

Many good chaps here with years of experience, knowledge and a great grasp on authenticating. Look through the threads here. Also, Look and observe the construction methods and stitching, especially canton panel numerals and letters. Look at as many as you can in hand, at shows, from other collectors, etc. Once you have held proven and known items in hand the fakes stand out easily. Use your sniffer / nose as there is much to be detected once you smell fabrics / cloth from the period.

Never a hard and fast rule. It takes experience to discern the fakes in many cases. Don’t rely on the seller to authenticate items for you, study for yourself, learn from experienced collectors and ultimately decide for yourself.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

I agree with both of the assessments given, the grommets attached to the flag caught my attention immediately as being modern and not period..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Kevin,

I can only concur with what Rossi and GWAR have said, about studying the flags by reading through the posts as well as handling in person. I would also study period photographs and images in books as there were literally hundreds of thousands of NSDAP flags produced during the war and there are still plenty of authentic flags and banners of all types still available.

In our Library section there are numerous reference books available, although not entirely detailed about manufacturing, but they do have good images. I would also suggest before you purchase something take good clear images of the entire item and post them here for evaluation prior to purchasing.

Again, don't rely on the seller to authenticate for you.

Here is a link to our reference library. Some of the books are out of print now but are available, but in some cases they are expensive.

Flags and Banners of the Third Reich

Don't hesitate to reach out and ask questions..

Best regards

Smitty

Maybe this thread can be moved to the correct section?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry,

It has been moved.

Smitty