Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

NSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked Center

Article about: I recently got my hands on a piece that's really making me scratch my head. I'm close friends with a man who runs the militaria booth at one of my local antique shops. I've known him for yea

Default NSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked Center

I recently got my hands on a piece that's really making me scratch my head. I'm close friends with a man who runs the militaria booth at one of my local antique shops. I've known him for years, and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have some of the best pieces in my collection. This isn't to say he's above being fooled from time to time by convincing repros, but I just wanted to mention this piece comes from a man who's dealt in militaria for a long time.

Anyways, this NSDAP banner was brought to him not that long ago by another customer. The story goes that this was found at a recent estate sale in the area. When I saw the banner in the display case for sale I knew I wanted to try and get it. I was a bit rushed the day I got it, so I wasn't able to take the most in-depth look at the banner until I got home. When I did get home I noticed some things about it that seem a bit odd. One thing in particular is very obvious!

The banner roughly measures 44 x28 inches. It's double sided, but the swastika center on one of the sides is extremely crooked. Overall this example is in exceptional condition. It would have to be an unissued example that was well cared for over the years. I see absolutely no soiling, stains, or discoloration. On top of all of this there's no bunting or mounting areas anywhere on it. The two sides that measure 44 inches are simply folded over a tiny bit and sewn. Another oddity is evidence where an even larger swastika center was sewn. Just above the centers attached to the banner, I can see the faint sewing marks where a much larger center used to be. I tried my best to photograph this, but it still didn't come out all that great. It's directly to the left of the line I drew on the photo.

Despite these odd characteristics, the material of the banner itself looks/feels correct. I even found the black dot sewing guides behind the edge of the swastika centers. I'm really curious to hear what thoughts you guys may have about this one. I just wish I was able to show this to some of you in person, as the photos don't do it justice in my opinion.

Any and all thought/comments will be greatly appreciated!

NSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked CenterNSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked CenterNSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked CenterNSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked CenterNSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked CenterNSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked CenterNSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked Center

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSDAP Banner Oddity Crooked Center
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

No pro on these but I've seen flags with "ghost" stitching before. I have one that appeared to be part of a much larger flag that was cut up and then a new handmade roundel and Swaz was added.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Anything 'Hand Made' has the potential to be off a bit, as many have said, 'Early Monday morning, or late Friday afternoon' we've all been there, JMO, G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Anything 'Hand Made' has the potential to be off a bit, as many have said, 'Early Monday morning, or late Friday afternoon' we've all been there, JMO, G
    Or late Schnapps o' clock...

?

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Or late Schnapps o' clock...

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Not uncommon to see roundels sewn on in the wrong direction on the opposite sides. When these were produced the flag may have been turned on the wrong side when the reverse roundel was sewn on, hence the crooked swastika on the back side.

Given the literal thousands and thousands of these mass produced there were going to be some with imperfections, and there was no way to inspect all of them. Many of these would have hung in homes so I wouldn't worry about the oddity.

It is a nice looking short banner

Smitty