Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old Banner Found In Old Trunk

Article about: Found in an attic in an old trunk its a really big banner double sided. The banner is approx. 20ft x 4ft. Just an estimate my living room is not big enough. Has slits at bottom and top of fl

Default Old Banner Found In Old Trunk

Found in an attic in an old trunk its a really big banner double sided.

The banner is approx. 20ft x 4ft. Just an estimate my living room is not big enough.

Has slits at bottom and top of flag for hanging post or to weigh it down?

The swash is stitched over the red cloth on both sides. Has a few stains that look like red wine or blood. Are stains common?

Any other info would be great. Thanx for lookin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old Banner Found In Old Trunk   Old Banner Found In Old Trunk  

Old Banner Found In Old Trunk  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Old Banner Found In Old Trunk
    P
    Many

Default Re: Old Banner Found In Old Trunk

Yes the banner is really nice. I want it!

rgds, Ty

Do you know how to get the stains out? or is it better to not clean it? Can you iron it? I wanted to clean it, iron it, and put in a vacuum bag. Is that a good idea or better to leave it alone.

Thanx Cheers!

Nothing wrong with yours. I have a smaller one that is a weighted banner. Both sides hae a hand-stiched ircle with hand-stitched arms for the swaz. The only thing special about mine is that it was made in either 1923 or 1925? Can't read the last digit on mine.

It seems the older banner the more detail. The white fabric behind the swash is sewed but the swash is painted. Is there anyway to research certain designs to pinpoint an age or does it need a tag. I just purchased this great banner to my new found addiction and trying to learn everything I can.

Angry Re: Old Banner Found In Old Trunk

Where would they date the flag

Simply "air" the flag and brush it down with a soft clothes brush is really all that needs to be done.

These things are never dated. You will sometimes find a makers tag, but that will be all.

There is not much I can tell you more than that.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanx for the great advice!

Cleaning your flag with soap or any form of chemical will likely damage it permanently. The fabric is now 65+ years ago. protecting it from enviromental damage should be your most important factor. It is best to keep it in a humidified enviroment. Dry heat will eventually cause dry rot.
    I agree with Ade as there is no way to date this flag except to the period between 1933-45.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Im sure that a gentle steam iron would remove any harmful oxidents that have formed over the yrs this shouldnt hurt the fabric, im sure that on of those hand held steamers used for curtains would be fine as they have a gentle suction control that leaves the fabric relatively dry , continue to air dry then vacuum pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast