Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzer ID banner

Article about: The banner was used to mark advancing Panzer units so they could be identified from the sky. Attaches to the top of lead vehicles. Looks ,smells and feels like a winner. Has anyone seen one

Default Panzer ID banner

The banner was used to mark advancing Panzer units so they could be identified from the sky. Attaches to the top of lead vehicles. Looks ,smells and feels like a winner. Has anyone seen one or have one? I'm coming up zero on research. Surely one of you tank nuts must have seen or heard of one before. I was given this item by a good friend and collector who was given this directly from the vet in upstate New York. Money has never traded hands for it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer ID banner   Panzer ID banner  

Panzer ID banner   Panzer ID banner  

Panzer ID banner  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer ID banner
    P
    Many

Default Re: Panzer ID banner

heres one of those lead tanks your talkin about with the your flag flying
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer ID banner  

I cannot say I have seen one like it before? The shape is strange? One possible use would be to fit over the spare wheel on a Kublewagen for ground to air ID. But the lack of any fitments to secure it is a little odd?

Having said of all of that, I like the general look of it.

Cheers, Ade.

I have to agree with Ade here iv never seen one this shape before , it looks more like a large parade banner been cut down , possibly for same purpose as ID flag , just my thoughts , nice item still though , cheers Raymond

Regulation vehicle identification banner or recognition panel was carried in every tank, truck, auto. This was a cotton flag, approx. 45x30 inches, printed one side, having sewn-in tie strings at each of the four corners. Uncle Bud, bazooka man of 320th. Inf. Regt.called them targets.

schnellmann
    ?

I have seen LOTS of fotos with flags attached to tanks, in a manner consistent with what you are saying. LOTS of them. I would say they were indeed meant to warn tank killer Stukas (and others) not to kill the tank they were attached to.