Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA Sturmfahne, Kurpfalz

Article about: Hi friends, back again on the hunt for a good example of a Sturmfahne. Here I've found another in very nice condition, with a green and (silver? gold?) piped corner patch indicating Kurpfalz

NSDAP Sammler is right. The swaz on a SA Sturmfahne needs to be sewn on, not printed. Here’s a translation of the pertinent passage.

If the swaz on the flag in question is printed, it’s a questionable SA Sturmfahne.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Sturmfahne, Kurpfalz  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Sturmfahne, Kurpfalz
    P
    Many

Quote by DerFunker View Post
    I'm glad these last few Sturmfahnen I've posted have started some conversations, though. Great learning material!
    Great learning material indeed. Everybody can learn something.

Thanks to Sammler for those Oberste SA Führung pages and ivbaust for the translation
    -TJ-

Thanks to all for the great, and informative, responses gents. Kind of all to take such an interest in this, and really great ads and articles - I'll save these for future reference. And - I've gained some more knowledge that'll help in my hunt for the next Sturmfahne.

I think it's best to play this one safe and pass on it. The hunt goes on!

It's the same with all Flags of the NSDAP and their other formations. The Ortsgruppen-/Kreisfahnen der NSDAP, Sturmfahnen of SA, NSKK, NSFK, the Sturmbannfahnen of the SS, the Betriebsfahnen/Ortsfahnen of DAF and even the Formation Flags of the Hitlerjugend ... They're all multi-piece constructions with sewn on Swastikas. They never have printed Swastikas! -

In this case, as I stated before, the Flag itself might be period, but it's a Flag that was used in a Household or a Store, or something like that. Somebody added the Corner Patches postwar, to make it a "SA Sturmfahne". That's my opinion.

Quote by NSDAP Sammler View Post
    It's the same with all Flags of the NSDAP and their other formations. The Ortsgruppen-/Kreisfahnen der NSDAP, Sturmfahnen of SA, NSKK, NSFK, the Sturmbannfahnen of the SS, the Betriebsfahnen/Ortsfahnen of DAF and even the Formation Flags of the Hitlerjugend ... They're all multi-piece constructions with sewn on Swastikas. They never have printed Swastikas! -

In this case, as I stated before, the Flag itself might be period, but it's a Flag that was used in a Household or a Store, or something like that. Somebody added the Corner Patches postwar, to make it a "SA Sturmfahne". That's my opinion.
    Given the information, this seems accurate. I have several "commercially" available period flags, hausfahnen, and have noticed the flag material typically differs in these from a couple of the reichskriegsflaggen I have, which seem to be a coarser, thicker cloth rather than the softer, smoother fabric of the house flags. Have you typically seen a common flag material type in the standarten of the SA, NSDAP, etc.?

Quote by DerFunker View Post
    Given the information, this seems accurate. I have several "commercially" available period flags, hausfahnen, and have noticed the flag material typically differs in these from a couple of the reichskriegsflaggen I have, which seem to be a coarser, thicker cloth rather than the softer, smoother fabric of the house flags. Have you typically seen a common flag material type in the standarten of the SA, NSDAP, etc.?
    Yes. The Material that was used for all those Flags is "Schiffsflaggentuch". It's typically a coarser, thicker cloth, just like you stated!

From all given information, I think this too. Flag and corner patches are real and both standarts are from gruppe Kurpfalz like I mentioned.
    -TJ-

It's the same with all Flags of the NSDAP and their other formations. The Ortsgruppen-/Kreisfahnen der NSDAP, Sturmfahnen of SA, NSKK, NSFK, the Sturmbannfahnen of the SS, the Betriebsfahnen/Ortsfahnen of DAF and even the Formation Flags of the Hitlerjugend ... They're all multi-piece constructions with sewn on Swastikas. They never have printed Swastikas!

Just for additional information copy from RZM book 1936. HJ and DAF haus- und Dekorationsfahnen

SA Sturmfahne, Kurpfalz SA Sturmfahne, Kurpfalz
    -TJ-

I just took some pics of my Flags.

1. Hausfahne (normal Fabric)
    2. NSBO Fahne (Schiffsflaggentuch)
    3. NSDAP Ortsgruppenfahne (Schiffsflaggentuch).

I think you can see the differences easily.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Sturmfahne, Kurpfalz   SA Sturmfahne, Kurpfalz  

SA Sturmfahne, Kurpfalz  

I just took some pics of my Flags.

1. Hausfahne (normal Fabric)
    2. NSBO Fahne (Schiffsflaggentuch)
    3. NSDAP Ortsgruppenfahne (Schiffsflaggentuch).

I think you can see the differences easily.
    Very good, thank you! I think this settles it. The original flag in question absolutely appears to have a very fine thread/soft type cloth. Absolutely this had to be a commercial flag that someone attached corner patches and rings to.

Great detective work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2