Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Vehicle Pennant

Article about: Gents, What type or unit would this pennant be used for? Looked but didn't find much on this type. Don't know if it is real or not, let me know what you think. It is double sided and eagle l

Default Vehicle Pennant

Gents,
    What type or unit would this pennant be used for? Looked but didn't find much on this type. Don't know if it is real or not, let me know what you think.
    It is double sided and eagle looks hand worked.
    Thanks again as always.

Vehicle PennantVehicle PennantVehicle PennantVehicle PennantVehicle PennantVehicle Pennant

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vehicle Pennant
    P
    Many

It's a real one. The flat wire eagle, tress and backing match an original I owned. It is an Abschnitte (district) XI leaders vehicle pennant. Your fortunate to have found one that still is on its mounting staff.

Abschnitte XI was in the West Rhein area headquartered in Koblenz. Over the years there was various commanders - Ober Abschnitte and Abschnitte each had separate commanders but transition happened quickly so duties of both at times overlapped.

SS Brigadefurher & General Major der Polizei Walter Schroder was its commander 37-40 as were others after Schroders reassignment. Typically with Abschinttes the overlap from other duties occurred as is seen by Schroders designation.

There is a lot more info on Abschnitte XI but at this present time I am being pressed to the call of home duty by my wife who tolerates my passion of these things. I will try to review more on this as time permits & post what I discover.

My source of info is from Mark Yergers book "Algemeine SS The Commands, Units and Leaders of the General SS" and is a wonderful research resource if your into these items and who is who and how they are related.

The pennants condition is remarkable for it's age & is a definite center piece to an Allgemeine SS collection. Your very fortunate to have it. BTW, when the time comes to sell, please advise....I am so unashamed to post that last bit!

This is the Abschnitte flag that I had in my collection. The flags rope and buckle mounts were cut from the flag when it was captured and removed from it's staff. Note how the upper tress is larger than the tress on your fender pennant, space could not accommodate the larger horizontal tress.

I traded the flag to Bob Coleman some years back, 2009 if memory is correct along with an SA trumpet banner and a RAZ tunic and kepi for an SD uniform. I copied images from his posting some time back. When I had the pennant it was not mounted under glass and framed.

Note the similarities of construction. I don't have time to delve more into the book yet as duty still calls. Took a break to find these images.

Heres a link to SS Abschnitte Command flags, some general info. I know links are frowned upon but what is listed there is good info for further research if interested:

SS Command and other Car Flags (NSDAP, Germany)
    Attached Images Attached Images Vehicle Pennant  Vehicle Pennant  Vehicle Pennant 
    Last edited by Rich Moran; 02-27-2023 at 04:11 AM.

DMS
    ?

I would not jump so quick on that one myself. What is the cost they are asking? That pennant gives me some pause for sure!
    Now that Command Flag you use to own Rich, I would buy that right this minute and pay very handsomely for it!!

Here's an original variant to study
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vehicle Pennant  

Thanks Rich, that is some outstanding information!! The pennant came in a lot of other German items, like medical and flier daggers.
    Thanks again!!

CBH
    ?

Just an observation but the eagle on the OP is applied sown to a backing while Rich’s version is embroidered directly to the background. Also shouldn’t the metal mounts be RZM marked as seen on other examples?

DMS, I agree as my first conclusion to the pennant might be off the mark & good questions CBH.

The subject pennant is the 1st 1 I'd ever seen where as the flag I had was quite large and not a vehicle pennant. In other words I do not know if an original Abschnitte command leaders vehicle pennant is out there to compare to. That makes it a difficult call. I've been wrong on a number of 3rd Reich items over the years, my collection reflects some of those costly errors.

I do know the there are just the SS Adler available for purchase and I think 1 is on SS Steel site. Looking close at the SS Adler backing where the flat wire embroidery is laid into there is a distinctive difference in color to that of the vehicle pennants backing material.

I'd been thinking that perhaps the reason for the cleanliness of the pennant is that it was kept in the trunk of the commanders vehicle in a box alongside his other pennants due to overlapping duties. but then the thought arose, where is the clear sleeve these vehicle pennants were inserted into to protect it from the weather?

Definitely facts to consider about the subject pennant.

I have to add though, who ever took the time to produce this if it is a post war made item, did a doggone good job.

Lonewolf523, what is the source of the pennant and did you get any information on it, how it was captured and potential other circumstances that you might of been advised of?
    Not certain about the metal mounting devices wether they all were RZM marked or not.

But if it is a reproduced pennant, someone went through a lot to make it.

And the variant vehicle pennant looks to be a printed version, often times reproduced and I think at one time Delta and Reddick were selling knock offs.
    Last edited by Rich Moran; 02-27-2023 at 07:42 PM. Reason: variant pennant facts

Default Pennant

Here are some more pictures of the vehicle pennant. I looked at the mounting rings and didn't see any RZM markings on them. Didn't want to take it a part either.
    Thanks for all the comments!

Vehicle PennantVehicle PennantVehicle PennantVehicle PennantVehicle PennantVehicle Pennant