Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

De-Nazified Forestry Dagger

Article about: While in quarantine here, I'm going through some items I haven't looked at for years so I thought I would post a few questionable ones I never researched before. Here is my Hunting Associati

Default De-Nazified Forestry Dagger

While in quarantine here, I'm going through some items I haven't looked at for years so I thought I would post a few questionable ones I never researched before. Here is my Hunting Association dagger that had the insignia defaced at some time. Wondering if this is authentic? Looks longer than some others here on the forum so I'm open for comments from the experts. Thanks in advance!De-Nazified Forestry DaggerDe-Nazified Forestry DaggerDe-Nazified Forestry DaggerDe-Nazified Forestry DaggerDe-Nazified Forestry DaggerDe-Nazified Forestry DaggerDe-Nazified Forestry DaggerDe-Nazified Forestry Dagger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture De-Nazified Forestry Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement De-Nazified Forestry Dagger
    P
    Many

The short deluxe Eickhorn DJ hirschfängers should have a stamped mark, in fact 99% of all Hunting/Forestry or Shooting association hirschfänger should have stamped marks whatever the maker.

The traits that make yours a post war creation are.
    An etched makers mark
    An elongated pommel nut, pre war types of these had a short stubby pommel nut.
    The pebbled background within the clamshell, the pre war types had a smooth background.
    The amount of points the stag has in his antlers on the lower mount is one less than the pre war types.

Your piece was made post war for the DJV (Deutsche Jagd Verband) and would have originally a badge with these initials on it applied to the grip,not the DJ (Deutsche Jägerschaft) as it is now, the use of the denazified grip badge was to lend some credence to the hirschfänger to be pre war and therefore fool the unsuspecting collector.

Gary

Thank you Gary for the concise response and knowledgeable identification on this piece.

Gary, also it appears as the etched logo is upside down also as compared to other original DJ Hirsfangers.

Iconsofglory

Yes the mark is the oppisite to what we normally see on original Eickhorn stamped marks, bear in mind though that there are a few oddities out there where the stamped mark is also this way around and they are also period originals, probably stamped that way incorrectly at the time but made it through the inspection procedure.

Gary

Gary, just to clarify your comments in #2. This hirschfanger is one of the post war made by Eickhorn, it's not a fake as such, as Eickhorn resurrected it's 1935-41 trademark when it recommenced production post WW2. One of the easy ways to identify the post war production being the trademark was orientated the opposite way (the squirrel's sword points towards the hilt post WW2). Addition of TR era grip badges is a common way some dishonest people have attempted to deceive collectors.
    But it is an Eickhorn.

Anderson

This dagger was made by Eickhorn post war and not a fake, all Eickhorn Hunting/Forestry and Shooting association hirschfängers of the 1933-45 period had a stamped mark, as I said in post No5 you can find on very odd occasions a stamped mark upside down, the DJ badge was added to this piece to fool the unwary.
    On all post war Eickhorn produced hirschfängers I have seen the mark has been etched and orientated the oppisite way to the Pre War pieces so sword point towards the hilt.

Gary

Excellent information and it is obvious that this is a solid, well made Hirschfanger. If I look closely behind the DJ emblem, it appears as there is another small hole which most likely served as the original mounting for the DJV emblem.
    Regards to all,
    Bruce

The rule of thumb regarding a stamped Eickhorn. Logo and how it's situated also pertains to their Fire Official's daggers. There are many out there that look good because they are good. Not a fake, per se, just not pre-1945 production and with 60-70 years of age, they really look the part.

A beautiful dagger I have to add regardless of the time period produced. Workmanship is truly beautiful and remarkable. Thanks for sharing with us.