MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.

Article about: Hey! I have been offered this beautiful Eickhorn. But I'm very unsure of that. Surely it's an etched stamp? It should be a stamped manufacturer, right? Then I heard that the animals on the l

Default Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.

Hey!
    I have been offered this beautiful Eickhorn.
    But I'm very unsure of that.
    Surely it's an etched stamp?
    It should be a stamped manufacturer, right?
    Then I heard that the animals on the leaves should run in a certain direction?
    Towards the grip if it is original and towards the tip if it is a copy.
    Is that true or is it just a joke?
    It's beautiful, but is it original?

Sincerely:

Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.   Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.  

Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.
    P
    Many

Michael,

I’m pretty sure the knowledgeable folks here are gonna need clearer and closer photos of the blade, handle, and scabbard to make an accurate confirmation.

Many thanks for the answer
    I will try to get some more and better photos

Michael.

More photos Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.Forserty dagger by Eickhorn.

?

Michael, you are correct in your concerns in my opinion. I believe the piece you post while nice is a 1960’s reproduction. I have seen this piece over the years. A couple dealers used to show them as reproduction items and noted so. You do want to see the hunting scene / animals running towards the tip and not towards the cross-guard. Also, Eickhorn trademark you want to see it stamped into blade and not etched.

Go to this You Tube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RYTmmRHlto&feature=youtu.be

Scroll to 55:00 minutes into video and Wittmann talks about and shows difference between the post war and period made forestry cutlass. Don’t always agree with Tom but he is correct here in my opinion.

Gerritt here on WRF and Ade also can weigh in on my assessment on whether I am mistaken. Personally I would wait for a stamped model Eickhorn with etched scene running towards the blade tip.

Here is a nice thread showing a short model of Gerritt’s with stamped trademark and scene running to tip: Forestry Eickhorn DeLuxe short cutlass - Oberförster Hirschfänger Eickhorn
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hey! Rossi.
    Thank you so much for all this interesting information.

Michael.

?

Its a genuine Eickhorn piece made postwar
    They produced until 1972.
    The ones made before 1945 have stamped logo's and away have the tip of the sword the squirrel holds in his claws points towards the tip of the blade.
    When they started to produce again after WW2 they initialy stamped their logo's on their blades too, but always like the etched ones with the tip of the squirrels sword towards the guard.

Cheers
    Ger

Good educational thread. Maybe we could pin it. That first photo of the logo pretty much answers any question regarding pre or post war. It's interesting the company changed positioning of their trademark, seemingly to avoid confusion as to whether the blade was Third Reich era made. Despite such clear signs there is still confusion.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Good educational thread. Maybe we could pin it. That first photo of the logo pretty much answers any question regarding pre or post war. It's interesting the company changed positioning of their trademark, seemingly to avoid confusion as to whether the blade was Third Reich era made. Despite such clear signs there is still confusion.
    Done
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill