MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hunting cutlass question

Article about: Hello forum... I have a few questions for the experts. I’ve recently come across a neat looking cutlass that’s being sold locally. I’ll give you a quick description because I didn’t take pho

Default Hunting cutlass question

Hello forum... I have a few questions for the experts.

I’ve recently come across a neat looking cutlass that’s being sold locally. I’ll give you a quick description because I didn’t take photos.

The blade is about 13” long with etching on one side of the blade. There’s a German phrase right in the middle of the blade and a figure of a German hunter near the grip.

The German phrase translates as “God is with us” (My mother-in-law is German and did the translating).

The handle appears to be wood (I’ve only seen the grips with stag horn). The clamshell is gold and has a huge swastika right in the middle (A wreath under the swastika). The swastika side of the clamshell faces the etched side of the blade. I didn’t observe a makers mark on either side of the blade.

I will try and meet with the seller again for pics. I initially thought that this might be a good reproduction... now I’m not so sure. I know it’s a long shot but I was hoping to get some feedback. Seller is asking $150... scabbard is leather with gold fittings... all appears to be in pretty good condition.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hunting cutlass question
    P
    Many

Hi!
    Gott mit uns etched and maybe Weyersberg maker marked?
    Much evidence points to the fact that dagger is a fake.
    Please click the link:

Thoughts on a hirschfanger?

Hi Alex,

I agree with you... that one looks really bad! This one actually looks the part. It may be a fake... but a very good one if it is. The price makes me feel it’s more of a fake than the cutlass itself.

I would like to get pics.

Are u saying the phrase alone is the reason it’s fake? The one u had a link to looks nothing like the one I saw. I don’t have any of these types of blades.. I learn from what I read in a few forums and books.

Thanks for the reply and Info!

Hi!

I know the "gott mit uns" etch, (the wehrmacht motto) and hirschfangers mutually exclusive. Original pieces with bad "Gott" etch I have not seen yet.

There is more information/ photo about the cutlass. We only guessing fot the truth.

Seller sent me a couple pics... not the clearest but at least you know what I’m talking about.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hunting cutlass question   Hunting cutlass question  

Bad.
    Look at the mr. Wittmann's site.
    Compare it with these.
    Several type, era of original fine quality hunting, foresrty edged weapons:
    http://www.wwiidaggers.com/CUTLASS.htm

Quote by 26Intrepid View Post
    Seller sent me a couple pics... not the clearest but at least you know what I’m talking about.
    Trust me, it's bad.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Trust me, it's bad.
    Ralph.

Methinks that it would be just the thing to enhance a 4th Reich collection. Best Regards, Fred

Thanks everybody... I’m absolutely passing on this!

Quite a shocker. I'm guessing "P or P" meaning Poland or Pakistan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast