Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Question - Deutsches Jagerschaft markings etched vs stamped

Article about: I want to get opinions regarding maker marks on DJ daggers/cutlasses from the Third Reich era. I have heard and read many comments about Forestry markings in this era needing to be stamped a

?

Default Question - Deutsches Jagerschaft markings etched vs stamped

I want to get opinions regarding maker marks on DJ daggers/cutlasses from the Third Reich era. I have heard and read many comments about Forestry markings in this era needing to be stamped and I take no issue with this information. My interest stems from my inability to gather enough reference on Deutsches Jagerschaft blades compared to what I have seen on some sellers websites. In particular I have seen an Alcoso Deluxe (short) cutlass on a very popular and long-time sellers website, which had an acid etched maker mark. The price for this rare cutlass was high (as expected), however the etched logo made me question whether it was 3R or post 3R. I own an Alcoso Nr. 1866 DJ-emblemed Hirschfanger, that is maker stamped. I have seen a convincing 3R looking Horster sold that had an acid etched maker mark, but since I don't have a Horster catalog I can't verify it was a 3R era piece. I am aware PW pieces just need a DJ emblem added to the grip to make it look like a 3R piece. I have the Johnson references on these pieces and there are no pictures of the maker marks on the Alcoso Deluxe (short) pieces shown. Can those of you with more experience with these DJ pieces give me your opinions on this question?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question - Deutsches Jagerschaft markings etched vs stamped
    P
    Many

?

Some makers did etched their logo's instead of stamping them on Hirschfängers.
    Hörster has used both, there are etched early logo's (the ones without the oval), but i most say i prefer and only buy the stamped ones. (company name in letters, and oval logo)
    E.Pack always etched their logo's on forestry and DJ hunting Hirschfängers.
    Eickhorn stamped theirs pre-45 logo's, all etched ones are post war, but they also stamped their logos post war for a couple of years, but they are easy to determen as these logo's point to the guard instead of the tip of the blade.
    1 Remark: i know their special honour etched blades of the DJ have an etched logo, so regarding to one of a kind custom made blades exceptions are sometimes found.
    My Alcoso Hirschfängers sofar all had stamped logo's.

If you want to be sure, then go for stamped Logo's (in case of Pack they are etched)

Ger

?

Thanks for the reply Ger. Do you own an Alcoso short deluxe Hirschfanger?