Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes

Article about: Hi all, I have been inspired to do this thread after a recently helping out a member. It is my plan to post pictures of differing buckles from early to late to help the novice/beginner buckl

Default Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes

Hi all, I have been inspired to do this thread after a recently helping out a member. It is my plan to post pictures of differing buckles from early to late to help the novice/beginner buckle collector in order to give them a basic understanding of buckle production, name parts and different types of buckles. This will hopefully improve their knowledge about buckles and in turn could help avoid guys buying fakes. Any requests taken, I will post buckles as and when I get the time to edit them. If this proves a success we can build up the thread and maybe include specific makers and their own characteristics
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 08-12-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes
    P
    Many

Default Re: Buckle and Belt characteristics

Lets starts of with a steel Heer buckle, produced from 1940 - 1945. You see buckles with and without the leather support tabs, there was an order in 1942 to stop using the leather support tabs in order to save on leather and also it was deemed that it was not providing much support anyway. You will find some tabs dated 1943, most are on police buckles which I have an example of, these are very rare buckles and are like hens teeth
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes   Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  

Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes   Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  

Ben

Here we have another example of a steel Heer buckle but from a different maker. Note here the differences in the eagles heads, this buckle is by Gustav Hermann Osang (GHO) His eagles on steel buckles were very distinct and only he made buckles with a beak like this. Also note the leather tab, this is made from pig skin so note the differences between this one and the previous tab on the JFS buckle. I have also included an early aluminium buckle by this maker, you will note that he has his initials GHO under the roller bar, you will see this amongst the example that I will be showing,some times there is no makers mark on the buckle, or it can be by the catch, in the centre of the buckle or under the roller bar.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes   Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  

Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes   Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  

Last edited by Ben Evans; 01-15-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Ben

On this example you will see again it is a steel buckle but this time it has a web tab for tropical use. The maker is Gustav Brehmer, he marked his buckles with an intertwined GB near catch, however sometimes he did put it under the roller bar but not often. he also put the date of manufacture under the roller bar. I have also seen Gustav Brehmer buckles with just the date under the roller bar, again GB has a very distinct eagle and with time you will be able to look at a buckle and know it is by this maker. Note on this buckle that the prongs are made of aluminium, there is a theory that this as done to stop them rusting in the tropical condition, however there is nothing actually written down to this effect.

Ben

On this example you will find a steel WaterPoilce/Harbour Police buckle as denoted by the gold wash that is appiled to them. Notes on this buckle, it is made by Christian Theodore Dicke, this is noted on the leather support tab and if you look in the centre of the buckle at the rear you will find his initials CDT. Also to note on this example is the extra leather uniform protector, these were applied to some buckles, I have seen most of them on Police buckle examples. This is also dated 1943, remember what I said before they stopped using tabs after 1942 so these are quite collectable.

Last edited by Ben Evans; 01-15-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Ben

This example is a nickel Weimar/Reichsheer Army buckle, Germanys 100,000 strong army as agreed after WW1. This is made by a very prolific maker named Assmann, they made lots of buckles throughout WW2. Note the early type of catch and also the year date on the tab is outside the oval imprint on the tab, only Assmann ever did this. Also note the unit mark written on the support tab, it also looks they have hammered a screw head into the leather imprinting an image onto the leather, another form of unit/regimental ID.

Ben

?

Excellent thread Ben i'm really looking forward to learning more about Buckles as they are not one of my strong points,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

This is an example of a two piece parade buckle made of zinc, these were quite heavy in the hand. Note how this is made of two pieces with a separate "roundel" this was attached by the used of four attachment tabs. Also note on this one the smaller ears, these actually did vary in size through the stages in the war and between the different makers, also note the variant catch on these buckles. there different types of these two piece parade buckles, Police, Luftewaffe, Heer, I suppose the box was standard and they attached to it whatever force they were putting on. These have been made in nickel, aluminium, zinc, war metal.

Last edited by Ben Evans; 01-15-2009 at 05:36 PM.
    Ben

This is an example of a very early nickel Heer buckle with the eagle facing to the right. When they were delevoping these buckles they started off this way then changed their minds and turned them to the left. Note the way they have attached the roundel by the means of two solder points, if you ever see three in a vertical line it is a fake. Collector often call these types "variants" due to the way they are made. Very nice rare, collectable and expensive buckles.

Ben

This buckle is known as a Tunnerbund/Heer conversion. When they were designing early Heer buckles they converted Tunnerbund buckles (which is a sports association buckle which shows four "F's" "Frisch, Froh, Fromm & Frei) into some of the first heer buckles, a roundel was applied to the front and the box of the stamped Tunnerbund buckle was converted into a catch. Very intersting and early collectable buckles. I have enclosed an example of a untouched nickel Tunnerbund buckle by Mathias Kutsch, Attendorn and one by Berge & Nolte that has been converted to a Heer buckle.
    Attached Images Attached Images Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes 
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 07-29-2009 at 08:48 AM.
    Ben

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast