Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

H J buckle

Article about: I have an H J buckle that is steel but it was brass plated then then nickel plated but also on back it looks like som copper over the other plating .Is normal to plate steel this way ? I hav

Default H J buckle

I have an H J buckle that is steel but it was brass plated then then nickel plated but also on back it looks like som copper over the other plating .Is normal to plate steel this way ? I have other plated buckles in steel but they don’t seem done like this. Would appreciate any feed back on this . Thank you for looking . Charlie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture H J buckle   H J buckle  

H J buckle   H J buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement H J buckle
    P
    Many

Hello Charlie,

No more than the remnant signs of a fine adhesive coating on steel, originally period applied in order to ensure the integrity of the final nickle silver plating process.

This stripped and distressed “golden hue” exposed second layer finish is often seen on steel box HJ buckles.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Thanks David I thought it might be the process to finish a buckle but wasn’t sure .I have never seen a buckle so worn too just take the nickel off .Have seem pot metal molded with no finish on front but still on back .you would think more nickle would be on the back. A been there buckle though.thanks charlie

Hello Charlie,

Here are some images of another HJ buckle by Paul Cramer & Co (Lüdenscheid) where the obverse is so worn, that the pre plating coating is exposed.

My apologies for the poor quality images.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Just to "Square the Circle" on what I think is a quite interesting topic, attached are images of a HJ by P C & Co. which were originally posted by MAP (Michael) in 2015. A super HJ buckle and the interest here lies with the fact that the "copper" preparation coating to the steel box and under the nickle silver finish, is just starting to peek through on selected areas.

Regards and best wishes,

David