Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

what is the buckle?

Article about: hello friends today i met this buckle, i think the character on her is not correct. can you advise me who it is and who made it? Thanks

?

Default what is the buckle?

hello friends today i met this buckle, i think the character on her is not correct. can you advise me who it is and who made it? Thanks what is the buckle?what is the buckle?what is the buckle?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what is the buckle?
    P
    Many

Imperial era buckles are not my forte, however the roundel to this quite interesting item appears to have a First World War, “Czechoslovak Legion” connection. The Legion was apparently made up of mainly Czech and Slovak volunteers, aligned to the Triple Entente which comprised of Great Britain, France and Russia.

Czechoslovakia of course was formed and declared an independence from the Austria-Hungarian empire in October 1918.

The roundel design to the buckle is extremely symbolic as almost representing “The Lands of the Bohemian Crown”. The fore shield is that of the Kingdom of Bohemia and the shield behind, represents Slovakia. To the right (viewer facing) is a shield representing the Duchies of Silesia and to the left (again viewer facing), is a shield representing the Margraviate of Moravia.

Czechia (Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia) when merged with Slovakia, forms Czechoslovakia.

The Legion had strong connections with both the Russian and French armies and whilst the term Legion was not commonly used during the First World War, it was more readily adopted “post war”. Essentially in homage to their strong relationship with the French who they reported to and also, due to a self regard as almost akin to the French Foreign Legion.

“Czechoslovak Legion” emblems are faked and to include a crest with a design similar to the roundel of the buckle which started this thread, destined to be displayed on the French Adrian M1915 steel helmet.

I have no idea whatsoever as to whether the buckle which started this thread is original or fake or whether if original, it is pre 1918 or post 1918. Having said that, perhaps Forum members with a better knowledge of the First World War will chip in here.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

That is an interesting attachment dohicky for the roundel.
    Very unique. A neat way to change them out if needed.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    ...A neat way to change them out if needed...
    Indeed Phil and that begs the question as to why the box is in a somewhat distressed condition and yet the roundel, is in excellent condition. Admittedly different metals, however I very much doubt that the box and the roundel started life together.

Regards and best wishes,

David

hi friends, today i met this buckle, i think it is incorrect. can you advise me what the buckle is?
    what is the buckle?
    what is the buckle?
    what is the buckle?
    what is the buckle?
    Best Regards
    Grigor

Grigor

The buckle is a Weimar period Heer buckle, looks like a nickel made buckle but the catch prongs and prong sleeve have been replaced/repaired
    Ben

Wow, you are an invaluable treasury of knowledge. I am very grateful for your help, and what do you think about this Prussian buckle. Is it original or fake?
    what is the buckle?
    what is the buckle?
    what is the buckle?
    what is the buckle?
    I am asking you for feedback

Grigor
    Last edited by radeorm; 02-26-2020 at 11:00 PM.