Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

?

Hello everyone. I'm still new to the hobby and spent several days learning in this amazing topic! I purchased some cheap photos on ebay as learning materials and samples recently. Do these look good?(I'm concerning about the 3rd one.) Thanks in advance. Would be very grateful if someone could translate the reverse of 2nd one!
    Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

Not easy to examine these closely from the pictures, but they all appear original to me. The last picture looks like some are Feldgendarmie as I think I see Polizei sleeve insignia.

Quote by MJie View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm still new to the hobby and spent several days learning in this amazing topic! I purchased some cheap photos on ebay as learning materials and samples recently. Do these look good?(I'm concerning about the 3rd one.) Thanks in advance. Would be very grateful if someone could translate the reverse of 2nd one!
    Hi.

This is what I have come up with.

Dies ist ein kellereingang auf der burg der drei Gleichen (This is a basement entrance to the castle of the three equals)

Gleichen - Wikipedia

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 03-01-2023 at 03:40 PM.

?

Thank you all for the reply!

-BlackCat, Thank you for your opinion. Good to hear they look original so now I can keep them as good samples. Thank you for pointing out the possibly Feldgendarmerie sleeve in the last picture. I wish they had worn their iconic gorgets lol.

-Willmore, Thank you for the translation. Always good to know what the writings mean!

Mjie

No worries.

The old script is tricky to decipher but it is nice to bring the meaning of the photo back to life.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

All of the photographs, including the third one, appear original. The first one is interesting since it is printed on Dinox photo paper, haven’t seen this brand before. Dinox was a branded paper of the Parisian paper and plate manufacturer, Guilleminot (fully known as R. Guilleminot, Boespflug et Cie).
    The third one looks to have pretty advanced silver mirroring at the bottom as it should be a silver-gelatin print. They are wearing reissued M18 helmets from the Great War, at least two are double decals.
    The men in the final photo wear an odd assortment of clothing, different overcoats and belts are immediately noticeable. The guy furthest left is holding a Mauser adjustable spanner.

Ben

?

-Will, Yes, the short writing brings the photo to life!

-Witt, Hi Ben. Thank you for the information. That's way more detailed than I can get from those pictures. I hope one day I can get so many details from the photo like you!
    I saw many different brands of photo paper in this thread and that's why I bought the first one, I'd like to have some samples of different brands in hand.
    Thank you for pointing out the third one is a silver-gelatin print. I'm a little bit concerning about this one because it feels so different, and I know why now.
    The Mauser adjustable spanner makes the last photo more mysterious. I wondering what brings those men together and took a photo.

Mjie

Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs Do these look okay and hope everyone is having a great day! The Kriegsmarine one just seems weird to me it feels thick.

Some papers are thicker this isn't a problem. Both look good to me.

Hello, I would appreciate your opinions on these two photos. Make sure to open the photos in a new tab to see them in larger size.

When they arrived I thought they looked a little too good to be true. They look brand new, the paper is still white. The paper is relatively thin and the surface is smooth/reflective. The back has "Leonar" stamps (although on the second photo they are upside down). The quality of the image is sharp and there are no blurred edges. One thing I noticed when I angled them in light is that the whole image is reflective (except the small part of the white edges). It looks like the images have been glued over the paper.

And finally, I compared these two photos with an original one under UV light. Both the photos glow bright blue on both sides under the UV light. The original one above them doesn't glow. The photos taken with my phone don't show how it actually looks, they glow more brightly. I was surprised these two photos glowed because I bought them from a respectable eBay seller (nauatu). And if I remember correctly he advertised them as 100% original. But I bought them more than two years ago.

Does this mean they are fakes for certain?

Thanks!

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast