Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Bison I advancing in Russia

Article about: A photo of a quite rare PzIB sIG33 Bison I advancing in Russia. Only 38 were produced and were all assigned to panzer divisions. I believe it belonged to s.Inf.Gesch.Kp. (mot.S.) 701 / 9. Pz

?

Default Bison I advancing in Russia

A photo of a quite rare PzIB sIG33 Bison I advancing in Russia. Only 38 were produced and were all assigned to panzer divisions. I believe it belonged to s.Inf.Gesch.Kp. (mot.S.) 701 / 9. Pz. Div. since it was the only unit I knew that had mounted spare wheels on the front of the vehicle. The photo was taken when 9. Panzer Division was transferred to the 2nd Panzer Army.

Mjie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bison I advancing in Russia
    P
    Many

Hi Mjie.

That is a great photo, I had not heard of the Bison before. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Hi Will,

Thanks.
    Bison I was basically a sIG 33 mounted on the Panzer I Ausf. B. It was overloaded and there was almost no space for the ammunition(3 rounds of ready ammunition could be carried in wicker baskets which was secured on top of fenders, could be more if the crew stored the rounds inside the vehicle.). Although the quantity was low and they were easily breakdown, 2 of them in s.Inf.Gesch.Kp. (mot.S.) 704 / 5. Pz. Div. were still operable in 1943.
    A nice try for the application of sIG 33 Self-Propelled gun.

Best regards,
    Mjie

?

Very nice foto MJie! It is interesting to see it marching east on the dusty roads of Russia.
    Always seems to be a good following of collections pursuing any Bison photographs that come up. Does not seem to be a numbered marking signifying the unit beneath the Schwerer Infanteriegeschützzug symbol.

Ben

?

Thanks Ben,

Such a dusty road that the glasses were a must.
    I also think there was no emblem or numbered marking that could suggest the unit. I can only make a guess from the mounted wheel.

Best regards,
    Mjie

MAP
    ?

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi Mjie.

That is a great photo, I had not heard of the Bison before. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Agree. never heard of this before. Did some quick google searches. Learned something new today. Thanks!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I remember the World at War TV series...and saw one of these fire upon a 4 story building and bring the whole front of it down to the ground.

Tough little assault gun.

Bison Assault gun

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 03-31-2023 at 05:15 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks for the video link, Larry. That was a powerful shot.

Best regards,
    Mjie

Nice picture of the Bison at full throttle.

They were also deployed during the assault on the Low Countries in May 1940.

Picture from Blizkrieg in the West by Jean Paul Pallud, After the Battle publications.

s.I.G. Kompanies 702, 703, 704, 705, 706 all had some Bison during 1940, as Mjie notes none of the above units Bison seem to have spare wheels mounted on the front glacis - I have yet to find a photo to contradict the statement.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 03-31-2023 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Addendum

?

A rare piece of kit and a rare photo many thanks for posting this .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings