Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Heer Photo Album - 88th ID / IR 246

Article about: Hello all,.....just picked up a pair of personal photo albums for guys that served in the Heer....I've got close to 400 photos between the two but mostly it is the usual stuff, lots of camp

Default Heer Photo Album - 88th ID / IR 246

Hello all,.....just picked up a pair of personal photo albums for guys that served in the Heer....I've got close to 400 photos between the two but mostly it is the usual stuff, lots of camp life, barracks life , sightseeing etc.....

I am just sharing some of the photos that I thought were interesting but I do have a few questions about some things....I am still actively looking myself but thought I would share and maybe get some quick insight on some things....thanks in advance for any input

It appears the owner was in IR 246 with the 88 ID early on in the war....in unit 14/Pz Jager/Kp / IR 246....there are Pak photos and what not to support that....the 88th was in France from 1940 to the end of 1941....they were then relocated to Kiev in January 1942

my primary questions evolve around the gravesite for soldiers from the AR 90 which is associated with the 10th Panzer Division, there are several photos with names ---- I was hoping to determine a location and date from the KIA's that have their names visible.....

here are assorted photos of the owner of the album...he survived the war as the album goes well into the 70's...it appears he was a mechanic during and after the war, there are countless vehicle pictures in the album....

portrait

with buddy and sporting a SA sports badge

pulling guard duty or staged ?....14/PZ-Jager / Kp / Inf Ers Rgt 246 barracks

out on the town in his waffenrock

Heer Soccer/Football team with quite the crowd in attendance

PaK

Pak

some RnR - the fellow with the wound badge earned it

I found the elusive size 60 helmet

an interesting camo vehicle with a zelt top ?....is this a civilian vehicle ?

the burial site for 28 soldiers of AR90 - it seems to be more of a tourist type photos and I dont think there is a connection between AR90 and IR246

perhaps an officers funeral

and lastly, what I think is a just post-war photo of a gas station.....the owner of the photo album was quite fond of motorcycles, there are several pictures of them....I tohught the picture was a nice snapshot in time...

thanks for looking and taking the time thru this long winded post and thanks !!! for any input
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer Photo Album - 88th ID / IR 246  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Photo Album - 88th ID / IR 246
    P
    Many

A fantastic pick up indeed! I'm jealous.

adding a few more photos of interest

pak gun training

I should have posted this above - i believe this is the end result of the rickety system they used to get that pak gun across the ditch in my first post

motorbike

album owner posing in front of a nice bunker

zeltbahn pic with helmet on top to keep the rain out(??).... temporary quarters while they finish the bunker

Autobahn sign

Hi there.

What great photos, thank you for sharing them us.

There are four casualty cards for members of 9./Batterie Artillerie Regiment 90 who died on the 20th of February 1942 in or near Bekasowo.

I found one man from the grave photos who had a casualty card, but for some unknown reason I can't attach a photo of it (it's never happened before), so I apologise.

Casually card details for the soldier I found -

Mich (Michael) Loew
    Birth date: 28 June 1916
    Birth Place: Badem Bitburg
    Military Rank: Obgefreiter
    Military Unit: 9./Batterie Artillerie Regiment 90
    Death date: 20 February 1942
    Death Place: Bekasowo 25 km westl Wjasma (Russland)

Gefallen : I. G. K = Gefallen : Infanterie Geschuß Kopf (Killed in action : Infantry shot head).

I couldn't find Bekasowo, but I found a potential match for Wjasma.

Vyazma (Wjasma) is a town and the administrative center of Vyazemsky District in Smolensk Oblast, Russia, located on the Vyazma River, about halfway between Smolensk, the administrative center of the oblast, and Mozhaysk. Throughout its turbulent history, it defended western approaches to Moscow.
    Vyazma - Wikipedia

Volksbund details -

Name - Michael Loew
    Date of birth - 28.06.1916
    Place of birth - Baden
    Death/missing date - 20.02.1942
    Death/missing place - B. Bekassowo 25 km westl. Wjasma

Michael Loew has not yet been transferred to a military cemetery set up by the Volksbund.
    According to the information available to us, his grave is currently in the following place:: Potschinok / Smolensk - Russland

Pochinok is a town and the administrative center of Pochinkovsky District in Smolensk Oblast, Russia, located on the Khmara River 62 kilometers southeast of Smolensk, the administrative center of the oblast.
    Pochinok, Pochinkovsky District, Smolensk Oblast - Wikipedia

Autobahn photo -

Autobahn Raststätte Orscha 50m rechts = Orsha motorway service area 50 meters on the right.

Orsha is a city in Belarus in the Vitebsk Region, on the fork of the Dnieper and Arshytsa rivers.
    Orsha - Wikipedia

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 01-08-2022 at 08:54 PM.

wow....I knew you would come thru again Willmore....thanks a bunch !!

it seems the 246th was about 400km south at that time...I'm guessing maybe those pictures were taken while traveling by or picked up from another soldier...then again, he could have been transferred to another unit along the way
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

No problem Sir.

It is interesting for sure and it's one of those mysteries we may never solve unfortunately.

If the photos aren't glued down, it might be worth seeing if there is any writing on the back.

Kind regards,

Will.

screw it...three more...everytime I look I find something new

album owner in suit, friend has Ostmedaille ribbon and what is likely a Krimshield and a daisy in his buttonhole

the desire is apparent - note Luftwaffe guy on far right

three guys relaxed
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

Here you go;