Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with WWII photo translation

Article about: Good afternoon, My father has what appears to be a genuine photo of Hitler and a female, possibly Eva Braun. The front image (from memory) image appears to the roadside view of the Hotel Wit

Default Help with WWII photo translation

Good afternoon,
    My father has what appears to be a genuine photo of Hitler and a female, possibly Eva Braun. The front image (from memory) image appears to the roadside view of the Hotel Wittelsbach with the couple standing in one of the lower balconies. My father is VERY sensitive about the photo and prefers to keep it tucked away. Reluctantly, I recently got him to scan the back of the image in hopes that I could find the proper translation.

Help with WWII photo translation

A friend attempted to translate it and was baffled by the signature (and most of the contents).
    She first thought the name read 'Linna', but if you disregard the 'L'-looking line coming from the top of the first letter - it appears to read 'Braun' (I edited the line out of the lower half - poorly).
    I would appreciate any help with this, and if I can EVER get dad to scan the front - I will post it here as well.
    Thank you all!
    Grant

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with WWII photo translation
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help with WWII photo translation

No big deal really, as it is only a partial postcard - of which
    thousands were printed, IMO.

I do not understand the reluctance to show the
    other side. It's no secret.........
    Regards,

Steve.

The handwritten text says:

"Trotz allem, stehst Du
    heute wieder neben
    dem Führer. Er läßt Dir
    Zeit zu rehabilitieren.

Dein
    [signed]."

...meaning...

"Despite everything, today you
    are once more
    standing next to
    the Führer. He gives you
    time to rehabilitate.

Your

[signed]."

I am not sure what exactly the signed name is, but I don't think it's "Braun".

For starters, a "u" and an "n" in Sütterlin look identical except for the little mark above the "u" (as evident in the words "Du", "heute" and "zu" in this text). No such mark appears above the letters in the signed name, hence, no "u".

Furthermore, the combination of the informal "Dein" with the surname would be highly unusual and odd.

Finally, and don't get me wrong, no offense is meant, but... ignoring/retouching parts of a character to make it more similiar to what one hopes to see, well, that approach just doesn't help.
    That elongated vertical element is a part of the signature's initial letter, so there is not really a point in saying that if it weren't there, it would be a "B"....
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-31-2011 at 07:40 PM.

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The handwritten text says:

"Trotz allem, stehst Du
    heute wieder neben
    dem Führer. Er läßt Dir
    Zeit zu rehabilitieren.

Dein
    [signed]."

...meaning...

"Despite everything, today you
    are once more
    standing next to
    the Führer. He gives you
    time to rehabilitate.

Your

[signed]."

hmmm. That is a bit odd. It would indeed help to see the front, which might help us understand the text a bit more. It appears to be a private photo in postcard form, that was obviously cut to a desired size. The Printing stamp refers to Hotel Wittelsbach Oberammergau, in the Bavarian Alps....which is still open today it seems. Photos of Hitler were taken very often, but obviously some are more desirable than others. Like said already, not a big deal to show the front....as there are thousands of photos of Hitler, and most are not considered a "rarity". I think the printing stamp is interesting, and would like to see the front if possible. Good luck on the signature

HPL & Bill, Thank you both for the help! Again - If I can get a copy of the front - I'll post it, but it's my father's - who prefers not to display it and keeps it put away. I realize too that changing the photo to make it LOOK like what I'd like it to say isn't right either (I'm reminded of a line in the movie 'Pi', "As soon as you discard scientific rigor, you're no longer a mathematician, you're a numerologist." - which directly applies to my tampering with it, but I did include the original too).

Here is a link where you can zoom in on an autographed Ilse Braun document where the line extends out from the B. I know I would LIKE to think that these are one in the same, but only an expert would be able to say so. Honestly, I am not at all interested in putting a dollar value on the card, as it is clearly a personal item that my father has no plans on parting with. Despite that I think the translated text is wonderful and can't help but give you both my deepest appreciation for each taking time to review it.
    I will contact my father today and see if he would be willing to scan the front now that we have a better understanding of the handwritten text.

Hermann Historica - Internationales Auktionshaus für Antiken, Alte Waffen, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Historische Sammlungsstücke

Grant

I just spoke to dad about the photo and relayed the translation to him. He said that the unknown photo was in his grandmother's copy of Mein Kampf that he inherited from her. Dad believes that the letter is from or for his grandmother (Emma) and the woman in the photo is NOT Eva. He said that he needed to run some errands today but would send me a copy of the front to post here.
    Thanks!

I have posted the front of the picture with some more info in a thread here:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/photo...45/#post351806