Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting photo of POWs in the USA from the Afrika Korps

Article about: Hi all, I ( just ) bought a really neat photo of some German POWs, a couple of Heer troops in tropical uniforms, one in a Luft tropical jacket and two in .... I don't know?? These are the se

Default Interesting photo of POWs in the USA from the Afrika Korps

Hi all, I ( just ) bought a really neat photo of some German POWs, a couple of Heer troops in tropical uniforms, one in a Luft tropical jacket and two in .... I don't know?? These are the sellers photos but because I now own it, I guess that's ok.....

On the back some of the story fleshes out, it is from Unteroffizer Josef Kretzler ( the man top left I presume ) and his POW number at McLean camp in Texas.
    ( Afrika Korps prisoners most likely )

Any idea what it could be? Not a photo to send home to show the folks that he is still alive as the odd thing is that it is written in English?
    Also they all have their uniform and awards / ribbons and not POW clothes so must be at their time of arrival?

By way of background, the McLean camp was near a small town 70km east of Amarillo Texas in ( as you might expect ) the middle of nowhere and managed by the 1871st Service Command Unit. Opened on 9th September 1942 and closed 1st July 1945, there is only a historic marker there on the now vacant land today ( and a book that I might try to track down )

Interesting photo of POWs in the USA from the Afrika Korps Interesting photo of POWs in the USA from the Afrika Korps

A nice snippet of history I think - if anyone can add to or ID any of the other uniforms that would be fantastic!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting photo of POWs in the USA from the Afrika Korps
    P
    Many

Come on boys, throw me a bone ..... 84 views and lots of likes but no opinions??

Anyone have any ideas on the uniforms and / or theories why they are all getting their photo taken in them??

"please and thank you?" ......

Very neat photo. As a native Texan (not to brag) I have an interest in the POW camp in Texas as there was a couple where I grew up down on the coast. I once read that most of the POW camps in Texas held German and Italian POWs captured either in North Africa or Italy. The reason for this was so that they were placed in a camp that had a similar climate to where they were captured removing the need to provide them with new clothing. That would explain why they retained their respective uniforms and why they are tropical.

Hey, thanks for responding ..... good to hear from a Lone Star guy, a "Johnny-on-the-spot" as it were

I found this article "When the Afrika Korps Came to Texas": World War II POWs in the Lone Star State | Humanities Texas

and all the prisoners had PW on their drill clothes so that's why I posed the question why not these guys?? ... a puzzle I reckon!!

Interesting photo of POWs in the USA from the Afrika Korps Interesting photo of POWs in the USA from the Afrika Korps

Cheers, Dan