Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Photo of a Well-Decorated Gentleman

Article about: Hello folks. This arrived with my new binoculars this morning. Nothing too rare or expensive, but I've always thought that portrait photographs really bring a display to life. The gentleman

Default Photo of a Well-Decorated Gentleman

Hello folks.

This arrived with my new binoculars this morning. Nothing too rare or expensive, but I've always thought that portrait photographs really bring a display to life. The gentleman in this photo had seen some action. Along with the two ribbons through the second buttonhole, he was the recipient of a silver Infanterie Sturmabzeichen, what appears to be a very well-worn black wound badge, and both the DRL and SA sports badges.

Photo of a Well-Decorated GentlemanPhoto of a Well-Decorated Gentleman

I can't decipher the details of this man's uniform, but this photo was presumably taken in early 1942 at the earliest, as evidenced by the Ostfront Medal ribbon. I find the presence of the sports badges particularly interesting, as I'd not seen any photos of them being worn by combat soldiers prior to this one.

Any further details are welcome. I know that he was infantry, going on the white piping. But I am a complete novice as far as uniform cuts and patterns go.

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photo of a Well-Decorated Gentleman
    P
    Many

His rank is Unteroffizier [Corporal].

He is wearing a Feldbluse [field blouse] of an early-war model: The collar is already made of field grey basecloth instead of dark blueish-green badgecloth and the collar Litzen are directly sewn to the collar rather than on collar patches (wartime simplicifications implemented in 1940), but the breast pockets still have pleats and scallops (which were discontinued, respectively, in 1941 and 1943). His shoulderboards are still made of badgecloth (they were changed to basecloth at the same time as the collar).

Of course, older-model uniforms were used up and worn out for years past these introduction dates, so they don't help us much to date the picture. But, as you already said, the presence of the Ostmedaille ribbon tells us it was taken no earlier than 1942.

Pinback decorations (including sports badges) could be worn on field uniforms, but often only war decorations (like the EK, KVK, VWA and combat badges) were worn. (Of course it's possible that our man here only put on the sports badges for this studio portrait.)

Here's a photo of my grandfather wearing some of the same decorations:

Photo of a Well-Decorated Gentleman

Andreas is always right and we all thank him for his wonderful knowledge and his superb citizenship in such cases as these, where he offers the beginner
    an anthenaeum as found no where else. Hurra!

I would also venture the guess that the first man may haven been in the SA and or SS, as he has the sport badges required of an Allgemeine SS man,
    but that is because I collect these things.

Appears to be what dealers & collectors phrase: M41 tunic. They differ from the M40 with the addition of a sixth button. judging by the placement of the buttons being close...probably an M41 with six buttons.
    HPL is correct, this is probably his "dress tunic" so the addition of the sports badge was worn along with all his decorations.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Andreas is always right and we all thank him for his wonderful knowledge and his superb citizenship in such cases as these, where he offers the beginner
    an anthenaeum as found no where else. Hurra!

I would also venture the guess that the first man may haven been in the SA and or SS, as he has the sport badges required of an Allgemeine SS man,
    but that is because I collect these things.
    I second this. Andreas has an encyclopaedic knowledge of these things that has proven to be indispensable time and time again. For his in-depth reply here, I thank him. Who knows what we'd do without him?

B.B.

Such a serious look on a young man's face - we can only imagine the horrors he has undoubtedly seen.
    Unusual ear lobes as well.
    I think photos like this bring another dimension to a display like you say.
    Nick

I shall tell you: without him this place would be like the lord of the flies site, and many would luxuriate in their own self pity and resentment versus face the bracing
    challenge of learning from a superb teacher. Andreas is a superb teacher, which he will deny, because he is a very modest man. But he has a very exceptional gift.
    I am a teacher, and I can recognize a good one. That is he. We have handful of such people here who carry the burden and we are blessed that they do so.

Meseritz is in the vicinty of Posen, i.e. today Poland and so forth.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I shall tell you: without him this place would be like the lord of the flies site, and many would luxuriate in their own self pity and resentment versus face the bracing
    challenge of learning from a superb teacher. Andreas is a superb teacher, which he will deny, because he is a very modest man. But he has a very exceptional gift.
    I am a teacher, and I can recognize a good one. That is he. We have handful of such people here who carry the burden and we are blessed that they do so.
    Andreas was the first member I reached out to a few days after joining here. I recognized the talent displayed & it only took me a few days. Humble he is & a pillar to this forum
    D.

Do not let me neglect the others here, too, who are wonderful people. But Andreas and I have met several times in Europe, in the conventional manner that people
    talk to each other and forge a bond. His gifts are extraordinary, not the least that his English is better than 90% of the US Americans (I am a US American who
    can read and speak German....) He also has an command of these subjects in such detail that he always puts me to shame.
    I am grateful to each one of you who makes this a better place. And pfui on the ankle biters, spiders on the wall and trolls
    who want to wreck this place. Think again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast