Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Photo of wounded soldiers at Nymphenburg Palace

Article about: Hello everyone. Here is a recent addition to the collection. I would read the script on the rear as - Verwundeten Spazierfahrten im herbst 1942 Heinz Dennig, Erwin Fritz, Elfriede Seberich.

Default Photo of wounded soldiers at Nymphenburg Palace

Hello everyone.

Here is a recent addition to the collection. It shows two wounded soldiers in the grounds of Nymphenburg Palace which is situated about 7.5km from Munich.

I would read the script on the rear as -

Verwundeten Spazierfahrten
    im herbst 1942
    Heinz Dennig, Erwin Fritz,
    Elfriede Seberich.
    Reservelazarett Mü (München) II.
    Schl (Schloß) Nymphenburg.

Wounded rides
    in the autumn of 1942
    Heinz Dennig, Erwin Fritz,
    Elfriede Seberich.
    Reserve hospital Munich II.
    Nymphenburg Palace.

Below are marked points of the Palace and tree line (1-5).

Below circled in red is the approximate location where the photo was taken, along with marked points that correspond to those on the above photo (1-5).

Modern aerial photo.

Aerial photo taken by the US Airforce in 1946 which shows the tree line marked as 5.

Misc information -

Spazierfahrt -
    Spazierfahrt – Wiktionary

Mü appears to be an abbreviation for München (Munich).
    Page 169 -
    https://www.ushmm.org/m/pdfs/ITS-glo...reviations.pdf

This link will take you to an interactive 360° map. Rotate 180° and you will be facing the Palace.

Nymphenburg Palace 2 | 360 Stories

Nymphenburg Palace history -
    Bavarian Palace Administration | Nymphenburg | Nymphenburg Palace | History
    Nymphenburg Palace - Wikipedia

Kind regards,

Will.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photo of wounded soldiers at Nymphenburg Palace
    P
    Many

Amazing. Well researched and presented! Neil

?

Indeed well researched, Will. Thanks to the original owner for providing a detailed inscription on the reverse including names. Interesting to see the area is the same as the curved path and hedgerow are in the past and present states. Good candidate photo for a now and then comparison from the same location/angle.
    Do you think they are Kriegsversehrter or are they being wheeled around the grounds after treatment?

What a great job with just one photo. Great memories of the family trip to Bavaria.
    Good luck with the detailed information on the back. With your efforts, this has allowed its protagonists to come back to life.
    It is not difficult to imagine where the wounded suffered frostbite and had their feet amputated in the winter of 1941/42.
    Great job!

Regards
    Santi

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Amazing. Well researched and presented! Neil
    Hi Neil, thanks for the comment and I am glad you like the thread.

Kind regards,

Will.

Quote by Witt View Post
    Indeed well researched, Will. Thanks to the original owner for providing a detailed inscription on the reverse including names. Interesting to see the area is the same as the curved path and hedgerow are in the past and present states. Good candidate photo for a now and then comparison from the same location/angle.
    Do you think they are Kriegsversehrter or are they being wheeled around the grounds after treatment?
    Thank you Ben. For me it is one of those rare times I will buy a photo. The soldier on the left is wearing an Edelweiss on his cap, plus the research potential meant I had to add this to the collection. I would hazard a guess that they were on a day trip from the Reserve Hospital where they were being treated. Maybe this was a common practice for soldiers during treatment as a sort of morale booster. A little anecdote about my Father is that years before I was born, he was in a bad car wreck and had his leg in plaster from the hip to the ankle. I remember him telling me he was in hospital for about a month and patients would be taken out on trips to places.

Kind regards,

Will.

Quote by TabsTabs1964 View Post
    What a great job with just one photo. Great memories of the family trip to Bavaria.
    Good luck with the detailed information on the back. With your efforts, this has allowed its protagonists to come back to life.
    It is not difficult to imagine where the wounded suffered frostbite and had their feet amputated in the winter of 1941/42.
    Great job!

Regards
    Santi
    Thank you Santi. You are the master of this type of thread and I definitely took inspiration from the many excellent presentations you have made. I totally agree with you there and I have quite a few death cards and other documents that show frostbite was common.

Kind regards,

Will.

Thank you very much for your kind comment, Will.

I know that at a more advanced stage of the convalescence of the wounded, even small group excursions were organized or at least financed by a newspaper called "Volksblatt". With your permission I upload a photo of this topic.

And obviously the next thing was a long leave at home, with the family...

Really, great job.
    And I have been enjoying the visit to the castle for a long time thanks to the panoramic view link.

Thank you for the brilliant additions to the thread!

The information about the excursions organised by the Volksblatt newspaper is really interesting, I was not familiar with this before today. I wonder if the two women in photo were part of this scheme and say this because the are dressed in civilian clothing.

I must admit that I spent a long time enjoying the panoramic views too.

Thanks again Santi.