Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Picture 126th Artillery Regiment Wehrmacht

Article about: Hi Forum, Today the unthinkable happened. I was running on my treadmill and got too carried away. Whilst running, the vibration of the walk made a small picture frame fall of my bookshelve.

?

Default Picture 126th Artillery Regiment Wehrmacht

Hi Forum,

Today the unthinkable happened. I was running on my treadmill and got too carried away.
    Whilst running, the vibration of the walk made a small picture frame fall of my bookshelve.
    This frame has been in my family for as long as I can remember. I never took the frame apart because it appeared original from the time.
    It shattered on the ground and exposed what was inside. An extra "note" with information on it.

Picture 126th Artillery Regiment WehrmachtPicture 126th Artillery Regiment WehrmachtPicture 126th Artillery Regiment Wehrmacht

Now from what I learned the young soldier died in Russia whilst serving in the 126th Artillery regiment. During the summer of 1941 this was in the Novgorod area as part of Armee Gruppe Nord. What I cannot figure out is where exactly the location of death is. "Wibor"? I can't find it anywhere. Do I misread it? Can anyone assist me in decyphering this? I find it fascinating how these type of portraits end up in the hands of others. Did the original family dispose of this? It is a mystery to me.

Many thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Picture 126th Artillery Regiment Wehrmacht
    P
    Many

Hi Vocht.

Zur Erinnerung Erwin Hameister, Am 21 Juli 1941, im Russland gefallen, Stettin Q 24./12.41

In memory of Erwin Hameister, on the 21st July 1941, killed in action in Russia, Stettin Q 24.12.41

Now.... I have a free trial with Fold3, so I can provide casualty cards for a short time! I’m sure this is your man.

He was born on 22nd of July 1915, in Züllchow Stettin.

He was killed in action on 21 Jul 1941 in Babajewka, while serving With 9 Kompanie Schützen Regiment 5.

Schützen Regiment 5
    Schützen-Regiment 5 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picture 126th Artillery Regiment Wehrmacht  

The last photo is very dark and blurred, so I can’t make sense of it.

But it might be a relative who has written the text, because it looks like a name on the top right

Kdr III./A.R. 126 ??? 21 Juli 1941 = Kommandeur 3rd Batterie Artillery Regiment 126 ??? 21st of July 1941.

?

Hi Willmore, thanks a lot for chipping in with the casualty card. I really appreciate it. It reads "Fam Hameister" in the top right corner.
    How I read it, the Zur Erinnerung was signed after the death as a remembrance and the other card was to indicate where the picture had to be sent to?

The Wibor/Ulibor is a mystery to me. Does not seem to be a town at all. I browsed google maps for half an hour in the Bryansk and Novgorod area and couldnt find it!

It’s my pleasure to have helped!

I would guess Fam Hameister would mean ‘familie’ Hameister, so I think you are right!

I must admit I find the German names for places very hard to find, also I think a lot of names have changed since the war, but hopefully someone will be able to help.

Quote by Willmore View Post
    The last photo is very dark and blurred, so I can’t make sense of it.

But it might be a relative who has written the text, because it looks like a name on the top right

Kdr III./A.R. 126 ??? 21 Juli 1941 = Kommandeur 3rd Batterie Artillery Regiment 126 ??? 21st of July 1941.
    Picture 126th Artillery Regiment Wehrmacht

Can I just correct you Wilmore, the legend reads Kdr III (3 Abteilung) of Artillerie Regiment 126. The III Abteilung consisted of Batteries 7, 8 and 9.

Thanks BlackCat.

?

Thank you blackcat for chiming in!