Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.

Article about: I was wondering if anyone might be able to give a hint on how (or if it´s even possible) to research this Sterbebild. His war trail took him to Afrika, the Ostfront and finaly Finland where

CSW
    ?

For reference and research purposes, here is the little piece of information from Valtonen's list of Luftwaffe losses in Finland 1941-44 (in Finnish). There is not much that hasn't already been said here, however I found it slightly interesting that "Sonderführer August Schwarz" is not listed as part of the crew but as a passenger on this mission:

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.
    P
    Many

This is such a fascinating story, especially with the excellent information about the mission to drop spies. It reminds me of something that would happen in an espionage movie.

Jan
    ?

Yes it is, I can´t thank you all enough for helpoing me out here. As a conflict and battlefield archaeologist I would be very interested in some day finding the actual crash site.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.  

CSW
    ?

I too would be extremely interested in seeing and photographing the site in its current state. It is said to be located somewhere north of Puntala railway station, and a report from the 1980s says there were small pieces and items from the aircraft still on the surface at that time. The spot was described as "very difficult to find" even back then.

I found a very interesting wartime document that suggests there were, in fact, 8 people on board the aircraft, including Unteroffizier August Schwarz and Sonderführer Werner Schwarze with his very similar name (listed KIA as the commander of the aircraft!). Perhaps there has been some confusion caused by the similarity of the names?

Lots of useful material related to this incident is available on this aviation forum (in Finnish).

As the link above might eventually stop working, I have attached some of the original documents about the events and the post-war description of the crash site below. Fascinating indeed!

Karu's own description of the events that night:

Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz. Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.

The "original" list of people on board and a message saying "The German bodies will leave by train tonight at 22:05 and will arrive in Helsinki in the morning":

Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz. Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.

An order to launch an investigation on the events:

And finally the story of one fellow visiting the site in June 1981. Note also the (slightly dramatized) story on the previous page about "two Soviet officers" surviving the crash, crossing a swamp and appearing at a nearby railway station...

CSW
    ?

I myself happened to be in the Hietaniemi area earlier today and went to see if I could find the names on the German memorial there. Found all three: Schwarz, Decker and Berg. While later browsing the photos I realized the Russian casualty, Firsov (German: Firsow), was also there! He now has a first name and date of birth too:

Nikolaj Firsow, 27 October 1910 - 26 May 1943. He apparently survived the initial crash but sadly died the following day.

Jan, I hope you don't mind me posting these!

Berg's name was covered with snow and is rather poorly visible. The memorial itself was easily accessible despite the snow covering almost everything else

Jan
    ?

Thanks for the post CSW. Visited the grave marker myself today (March 15th 2022) too.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.   Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.  

Jan
    ?

Photo of the grave marker in the 1950´s.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.  

Jan
    ?

Accuired this Sterbebild and photo of another of the fallen German airmen whose name is inscribed on the grave marker.

Feuerwerker Leopold Deutschmann (born 26.09.1915 in Datteln) was shot down off Hanko S. Finland (Höhe Hangö) during a transport flight on the 23.08.1941.

If anyone is able to find out more about Leopold I would be very grateful.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.   Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.  

Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.   Sterbebild to Bordmonteur/Bordschütze Unteroffizier Gustl Schwartz.  

Hi Jan.

Here is the information for Leopold.

ame: Leopold Deutschmann
    Birth Date: 26 September 1915
    Birth Place: Datteln, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Military Unit: Seenotzentrale Ostw. Ostsee
    Death Date: 23 August 1941
    Death Place: Transportflug Höhe Hangö

His cause ofdeath is Gefallen: Kopfschuß im Fluzeug (Killed in action: head shot in aircraft)

Leopold Deutschmann is buried in the military cemetery in Helsinki-Hietaniemi, Finnland.
    Endgrablage: Abteilung 39 Reihe 9 Grab 112

Leopold Deutschmann | Grabersuche-Online

Seenotzentrale (L) Ostsee -
    Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Kind regards,

Will.

Jan
    ?

Thank You so much Will ! You know how much I appreciate your input.

Happy New Year!

Best, Jan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast