Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Photo album from Latvian soldier in German army?

Article about: I found this photo album today in a second-hand shop. If Google Translate is correct, the inscription carved into the wood is Latvian, and means “Men at the dishes! Men at arms!”. Also c

Default Photo album from Latvian soldier in German army?

I found this photo album today in a second-hand shop. If Google Translate is correct, the inscription carved into the wood is Latvian, and means “Men at the dishes! Men at arms!”. Also carved into the cover is what appears to be the German army’s tactical symbol for an Engineering Company, a bridge, a helmeted soldier with a rifle in a foxhole, barbed wire, and what may or may not be grave markers. I’m guessing this album which, unfortunately, does not contain any photos, was made by a Latvian soldier in the German army or the Waffen SS. Does anyone recognize the bridge? I’d love to be able to link the album to a place and time. Also, any ideas about the “Men at dishes!” inscription?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photo album from Latvian soldier in German army?
    P
    Many

?

Interesting photo album that shows its rugged hand made craftsmanship. I don’t have much information to add besides what you noted about it having Latvian text and the symbol for a German Pionier Kompanie. It very well could have come from a Latvian Legionnaire in one of the kompanies under the Pionier Bataillon of 15. or 19. Lettische SS-Freiwilligen-Divisions. I would think it would be difficult to determine the bridge if it isn’t almost entirely lost to history already. Playing along with the Latvian Legion theory, that bridge could span any waterway along their combat stretches from Leningrad to Kurland, or even his home region. May have been etched out along the route in 1943-1945 or as a commemorative piece after the war. Unfortunate that more info wasn’t inscribed or some of the photos inside remained, still a nice looking trench art style cover. Just my take.

Ben

The man in the foxhole with the rifle might be wearing a Latvian Adrian style helmet rather than a German pattern? It’s a shame there are no pictures within as it might have held a very interesting record of the owners war service. Thanks for sharing this intriguing find.

Interesting point about the helmet! Yes, it’s disappointing there are no photos, especially as I can see a few pages have been ripped out of the album, probably as they DID have photos. Sad when history gets lost.