Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pipe Carved by German/Austrian POW

Article about: The image above is of a pipe. It has three parts, the bowl that bears the emblem of the US Medical Corps in yellow on a green background, the shank carved to resemble the head and antlers of

imnosaint
    ?

Default Pipe Carved by German/Austrian POW

Pipe Carved by German/Austrian POW
    The image above is of a pipe. It has three parts, the bowl that bears the emblem of the US Medical Corps in yellow on a green background, the shank carved to resemble the head and antlers of an elk, and the stem that holds the mouthpiece.

According to my father, (now deceased) who at the time he received this was a commander of a German prisoner of war camp in Garden Grove, California, circa 1945, this pipe was carved by one of his prisoners, either a German or an Austrian engineer. It was carved from an ash hoe handle, made as a gift for my father who was a corpsman in the US Army attached to a Marine Division in the South Pacific previous to his duty at Garden Grove.

I'm looking for any direction that might lead to discovering more about this artifact. I realize it is not trench art, but POW art, but this is this most pertinent thread I could find on this forum.

Great thanks for your help.

2. # ADS

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Well, since you have direct provenance, I doubt that anyone else will be able to tell you more about this than you already know.
    POWs had very little to do while in captivation at the end of the war and availed themselves to doing many different things to pass the time. It is unlikely that you will be able to find another just like it.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

imnosaint
    ?

Thank you, Ralph. Among other artifacts is an oil painting of an Austrian Alps scene and a Japanese Empire flag signed by members of a Japanese infantry unit. I've seen other oils and flags similar to these, so was hoping for either a similar piece or perhaps an interpretation of the elk and carving style of the pipe. I appreciate your feedback.

Like Ralph said, there's not a whole lot more to be said about it that you don't already know! it's a typical Tyrolean type of pipe-they were quite popular with the German hunters and woodsmen-which would likely explain the Elk's head. Considering that he was working with a broken tool handle, the carver did an excellent bit of hand carving. But then again, the Germans and Austrians have Always been renowned for their talented woodworking-such as the Black Forest carvings. It does have some nice personalization with the medical caduceus for your father and his medical corp status. Many of these kind of pipes had a little metal cap over the bowl, but, being a POW and all, no doubt the carver had extremely limited materials available. What a great heirloom!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

it would be nice if you could take some photos outside in daylight

More pics would be good to enjoy it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.