Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield

Article about: Not a long restoration job this time, just a small piece of armour from the Flak 38 that I acquired a couple of months ago. This style of shield was used in conjunction with the Linealvisier

Default 2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield

Not a long restoration job this time, just a small piece of armour from the Flak 38 that I acquired a couple of months ago.

This style of shield was used in conjunction with the Linealvisier 21 sight, see picture. There were a number of different shield styles depending on the sight used.

You can see from one of the pictures that a mounting bracket weld broke while trying to get the pin out. Should be easy to weld even with my basic skills.

2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield

Nice work !

You will try too make a complete version ?

I was offered the rest of the armour a couple of weeks ago, but with the shipping from Russia the price was too high. Also do not have the storage space for the rest.

Have not spent a lot of time on this since the last up date.

Have now welded the plate back in place and cleaned and primed part of the armour and the removable parts. De-rusting of the armour continues.

2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield

Although we are on lock down here, I am still able to work in the garage, as I do not come into contact with anyone else. The Flak armour plate is now rust free and in a coat of red primer. With any luck within the next week it should get a coat of sand paint.

2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield

Any restoration is very interesting and I look forward to the future updates

As it was dry, sunny and warm today I got the 2cm Flak armour painted sand. It just needs a few split pins and it is complete. It has come out not to bad I think. On to the next project, which I have not decided on yet.

2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield

.....is the paint / primer etc you apply easily removal if required?

Yes, it comes off with white spirit and a bit of elbow grease.

I thought I had finished with the 2cm Flak 38 armour, but in the last week I had a parcel arrive containing the bracket to mount it to the gun frame. A lucky find on one of the groups I subscribe to on facebook. It will be restored after the last 251 wheel, but today I just had to test fit the armour, you can see it in the bottom right hand corner in the first picture.

2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield2cm Flak 38 Gunners Shield

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast