Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

3 Ton Half Track Project

Article about: On this thread I intend to show the restoration of the parts I have and anymore I collect in the future. Have still not decided which direction to take, SdKfz 251 or SdKfz 11, that is why at

Thanks for the compliment and your best wishes.

Yes at times it is hard work, but very rewarding when I finish restoring a part. As regards contacts, you just need to find people who have parts for sale via the internet or at militaria shows.

This is a fascinating project. Talk about a build from the ground up!

As I said in an earlier post I had a diff. coming, well it arrived this morning, big, heavy and complete. Also had in the last week 4 more hub caps arrive and 1 rubber track block as a free gift for the guy I got the hub caps from, sorry no pictures of these, just the diff.. Managed to finish the spacer and started on one of the wheels.

I have made up my mind as to whether it will be a 251 or 11. It will be a 251, so will be looking for parts for that.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

Can you please tell me what a "Differential" actually does?

Great pictures mate

A differential is a gear or set of gears that allow a vehicle's driven wheels to revolve at different speeds in cornering. In the half tracks case it slows down the drive sprocket on one side or other to help in turning when the steering wheel is turned left or right.

Excellent choice, I think the 251 is the way forward. I see what you mean that diff looks like a heavy piece of kit!

Jonathan.

Not much been happening lately, but have completed another wheel set this weekend and started to weld the reinforcing ring and weld up post war holes on one of the wheels of the 4th set.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 Ton Half Track Project  

The wheels are coming along nicely..

Good job and great work.

Jonathan.

Not much has been happening for the last couple of weeks, work keeps getting in the way.

Last week welded up some holes on the wheel with the tyre damage so it can fit the lone spacer I have, then I decided to repair the rubber tyre.

3 Ton Half Track Project

I found online a video of a couple of guys repairing the rubber tyres on a Panzer III or IV, using a product called Devcon Flexane. This is a resin based rubber replacement product, with activator that come in 3 different hardness's, soft, medium and hard, I went for the hard which is 94L.

Cleaned up the area of rust and made a mould and had a pour on Saturday, this stuff starts to go off after 10 minutes so you have to work quick.

3 Ton Half Track Project

Took the mould off today and I have to say it came out better than I thought, not perfect, but it works. If anyone wants more info just PM me.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast