Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

60th Infantry Division (mot.) Artillery Regiment 160

Article about: Hello again friends, today I'm trying to find out more about a specific artillery regiment. Recently, I purchased two dog tags (don't worry, I am sure they are good) and one of which was dug

Default 60th Infantry Division (mot.) Artillery Regiment 160

Hello again friends, today I'm trying to find out more about a specific artillery regiment. Recently, I purchased two dog tags (don't worry, I am sure they are good) and one of which was dug up in the Northern part of the Stalingrad kessel. It belonged to a soldier in the 2/Kompanie, Artillery Regiment 160. This regiment was a part of the 60th Motorized Infantry Division. The 60th took part in Northern sector battles in Stalingrad until it was destroyed in January of 1943.

My questions lie mainly in the guns, and transportation of such guns. Google is absolutely no help for me, as it brings up only results for the 60th REGIMENT USA infantry. That's no good.

Anyways, I looked up how motorized divisions set up their artillery. Here's what I found.

"The standard artillery regiment for motorized infantry divisions now had two light battalions, each with 12 x 105mm howitzer, and one medium battalion with 12 x 150mm howitzer. Two divisions, however, had a medium artillery regiment with 8 x 150mm howitzer and 4 x 105mm gun. All howitzers and guns were halftrack towed."

Source: MOTORIZED INFANTRY DIVISIONS 1939-45

Is there any way to confirm that this particular regiment had these weapons? Did they actually have half tracks, or were they pulled by Opel Blitz trucks or something?

Here's a good one. Any Stalingrad specific stories about the regiment?

Thank you very much for any replies, it is appreciated.

Hi Rusty.

I can’t directly help with your question, but here are some links with information that may help in some way.

Here is some general information about the 60. Infanterie-Division (mot).
    60. Infanterie-Division (mot)

German WW2 organisational series -
    http://www.niehorster.org/011_german...__28-07-07.pdf

Kriegsstärkenachweisungen (K.St.N.) -
    Artillerieeinheiten

German Army Organizations (Artillery Regiment (motorized) / Panzer Division
    late 1941 through mid-1942) -
    Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment einer Panzer-Division, late 1941 through mid-1942

German army organisation -
    Germany Army Unit Organization 1939-41 – WW2 Weapons
    https://www.ww2-weapons.com/germany-...ation-1942-45/

Infanterie-Divisionen -
    http://diedeutschewehrmacht.eu/infan...20division.htm

Kind regards,

Will.

Don't forget that when searching for information on German units it is best to use the German spelling - Artillerie, Infanterie etc. It cuts down on getting returns for Allied units.

Really good advice hucks.