Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.

Article about: Eddy, thanks for that, it would be most helpful, he/you will be able to correct any (probably a lot !) of mistakes I have made whilst compiling this thread....a good friend of mine gave me t

Default A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.

Gentleman, I visited a museum here in Manchester yesterday, next to the Trafford Centre (a shopping centre/Mall), it contained a collection of classic cars, trucks, buses and three military vehicles, much to my surprise, one of these was a replica WW1 A7V Panzer. These tanks were originally made by the Daimler plant in 1917, it is believed 22 entered service, and all were accounted for at the end of hostilities, only one survives today, "Mephisto" recovered by the Australians, and now on show in Brisbane, another "replica" resides at the Panzer musuem in Munster, Germany, so this then is indeed a rare beast !....This replica represents the tank Chassis number 504/544 (had to be rebuilt with chassis 544 due to problems with original chassis) named (as most were) "Schnuck" belonging to Abteilung 2, this vehicle featured early Krupp armour (Multipanel) and a pedestal mounted 57mm Maxim-Nordfelt quick firing fortress gun, and six MG08 machine guns, it was knocked out by its own artillery ! near Framicourt, August 30 1918, recovered by the British, displayed in Britain and sadly later scrapped. Back to this replica, which I photographed and eagerly examined, to find out it had no floor of sorts just a driving platform high up in the command cupola, there is no access to the interior, I gained access by looking underneath it.... it appears to be a welded railed chasis with spaceframe with sheets of marine plywood attached, yes, this replicas armour is wood !, an unknown engine and transmission sits at the rear, you can just make out these desciptions in the accompanying photos....the front gun I believe fires blanks, but the MG08 seem to be made of plastic, all in all a fantastic replica, that I wouldnt mind having sat on my drive ! I believe it to be owned by Bob Grundy a well known military vehicle conservator and restorer, from the Wigan area of Manchester. Although I had known about this vehicle, I did not expect to find it here in the Trafford Centres Museum of Museums, heres the link:

One museum, countless experiences - Museum of Museums at The Trafford Centre

.. a good morning out, with some cool displays and a militaria shop on site. I also include a rather blurry photograph showing the original "Schnuk" with its commander Lt Muller and crew....enjoy. Here is a youtube link showing this replica in "action". YouTube - A7V Replica
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.   A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.  

A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.   A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.  

A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.  

Default Re: A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.

Hi, Steve.

Thanks for posting photos of this well made replica.
    Any idea what 'SchnucK' means..........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Steve, no idea...never thought about it, good question...i'll look into it, unless some of our German members can tell, however did find this reference to the word.." German. An expression without any meaning which is included in everyday conversations to see how the other person reacts.
    Ja, stimmt - aber auch schnuck, oder?
    (Yes, right - but also schnuck, isn't it) " ?.........was it such named to see how the Allies reacted ? (it was one of the earliest made and operated A7V's) German sense of humour ?...
    Prost ! Steve.

Lucky for me I used to live in Brisbane so I've been fortunate enough to have seen 'Mephisto' up close and personal!

I also lived in Dorset for 3 years back in my racing days so I was able to visit Bovington tank museum on several occasions to see the British Mark I, IV and V.

I was surprised to learn that the tank crews wore chain mail armour to protect them from metal splinters shooting throughout the tank interior due to the bullets striking the exterior. Added to the weight of the armour, the heat from the exposed engine around which they operated and the stress of combat as well as actually operating the vehicle and I really have to take my hat off to these brave pioneers of armoured warfare.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Lucky for me I used to live in Brisbane so I've been fortunate enough to have seen 'Mephisto' up close and personal ! and I really have to take my hat off to these brave pioneers of armoured warfare.
    Glenn, you are lucky to have, and to have seen "Mephisto " !....I would love the chance to see it up close, regarding the pioneers of these beasts, my hat off too ! there is a great book, ive just finished reading all about the begining/formation/development of the Royal Tank Corps, " Band of Brigands " the extraodinary story of the first men in tanks, by Christy Cambell, ( ISBN 978-0-00-721460-0) a great book...meanwhile, we in the U.K. have to look forward to the only original piece of an A7V here in the U.K., the 57mm pedastel mounted gun and mantle, on display in the Imperial War Museum NW here in Manchester....A bad photo, in bad light ! and I show a leather protection helmet used by the crews of the A7V's, currently for sale at $5000 !.....rare though !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.  
    Attached Images Attached Images A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.  A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K. 

?

I remember being posted to Brisbane in the early 90's when Mephisto was displayed outside but undercover, you could crawl all thru it. It was fairly well gutted, but I think it still has it's engine and original armament. It still had original paint and graffitti from the Diggers that recovered it. It is now on Display behind glass in a World War One Battlefield setting, luckily they didnt repaint it, just cleaned it. It was used as the basis for the Panzermussee Munsters replica. They sent blokes out from Germany to measure it!!!

qotd, indeed, here is "Mephisto" (now behind glass) and the copy made by the Panzer Museum in Munster.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K.  
    Attached Images Attached Images A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K. 

?

There she is!!! But I do remeber crawling thru her when she wasnt behind glass, wether or not I was "allowed" to is a different matter entirely!!!!

Gents, a bit of digging and I have managed to find out a little more information....this A7V replica is, apparently based on two 1950's "Ford County Crawler" agricultural vehicles, (two provided the correct track length), I am still making enquiries, but IF the engine and transmission from these vehicles were used, then I give the following information :-
    "Engine: Ford Model 592E, 4-stroke, Water cooled diesel, Cylinders = 4, Bore = 3.937 in. Stroke = 4.528 in. Displacement = 220.27 cu. in. Compression ratio = 16.1:1, Operating speed range = 550 to 1,900 rpm.
    Max. h.p. at Engine Crankshaft: 52 at 1,600 engine rpm.
    Max. h.p. at PTO Shaft: 25 (722 rpm) at 1,600 engine rpm.
    Max. h.p. at Drawbar: 40.1 at 1,600 engine rpm.
    Max. Crankshaft Torque: 162 lb/ft at 1,200 engine rpm.
    Max. Drawbar Pull: 11,020 lb at 1.364 mph on 14 in. tracks.
    Total Tractor Test Weight: 11,732 lb.
    Transmission: Type = Gear.
    Standard Speeds: Forward = 1.36, 1.78, 2.38, 3.28, 4.41 mph, Reverse = 1.71, 3.07 mph.
    Standard Tracks: Tread (centre to centre) = 53 in. Width = 14 in, Length on ground = 54.5 in.
    Turning Radius: 13 ft, Ground clearance = 11 in.
    OVERALL DIMENSIONS: Length = 129.5 in. Width = 67.5 in.
    Weight (as sold, without ballast): 10,107 lb.
    PTO: Spline shaft, diameter = 1-3/8 in. Rotation, Clockwise, Viewed from rear.
    Hydraulics: Maximum pressure =1,100 psi, Front mounted, 2,250 psi inbuilt; Pump capacity = 13.0 and 4.93 gpm respectively.
    Implement Attachment: Category = 1 and 2 linkage, Maximum lift at hitch point = 3,000 lb.
    Additional Equipment Available: Hydraulic dozer, Raised PTO, Remote hydraulics ".
    I show a photograph of the doner vehicle, and a cut-away drawing of an A7V (CLICK ONCE ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE, FOR MORE DETAIL). N.B. interesting to note that the prototype A7V back in 1916 had a mocked up wooden body !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images A7V WW1 Panzer Replica in U.K. 

hi fella's
    my bren gun carrier is in bob's yard and i was chatting to him about his A7V replica last saturday, i'll see him again on monday and ask him if he'll do a post on the forum about it. he also built the carden loyd replica that is on the uk show scene at the moment. he's a great guy and very helpful but also very busy so if he doesn't want to do a post on the forum i'll get the details and post it for him.

all the best

eddy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast