MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Elefant on display at Bovington tank museum

Article about: Don't know if anyone else here saw this on face book ,but a German Elefant tank destroyer was posted being unloaded at Southampton docks (Bovington tank museum live) apparently its on loan f

Default Elefant on display at Bovington tank museum

Don't know if anyone else here saw this on face book ,but a German Elefant tank destroyer was posted being unloaded at Southampton docks (Bovington tank museum live) apparently its on loan from the US Army Ordanance & Heritage centre (Wonder how much the freight cost ?) and is to be part of an upcoming display of the Tiger Tank family at Bovington tank museum (This one would be big Daddy one would think) on youtube there's a a bit of film of it in transit ! Merry Christmas Tank buffs ,Regards ,Paul

At least they've tidied the thing up, the last photos i saw of it showed the Elefant rusting in a field at the Aberdeen proving ground!...

Thumbs up

Yes, this should be interesting and a boys' day out is already in the planning stage.....

http://tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews53855

Nice one, have to visit again next year !

Tickets already purchased for Tankfest this year so will get a chance for a decent look at the elefant and other tigers.

I should be at Tankfest too so look forwards to seeing the expo.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I went for the first time this year and loved it so much I'm planning on going again next year !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    At least they've tidied the thing up, the last photos i saw of it showed the Elefant rusting in a field at the Aberdeen proving ground!...
    Hi Gunny,

It was restored a few years back and a documentary series called 'Tank Overhaul' was on the TV about it earlier this year. I found this clip from the programme showing some of the restoration work and giving a bit of history of this incredibly rare AFV.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Will be a first at tankfest for me. I am really looking forward to it as well.

It certainly is there, and on display too! I tried to match my photograph of the Ferdinand from Kubinka.

All credit to the guys at the museum for shifting everything around for when the display opens in April, the finished product is shaping up to be fantastic although It's great to be able to see it before the 'official' opening of the exhibition.

Elefant on display at Bovington tank museumElefant on display at Bovington tank museumElefant on display at Bovington tank museum

It's much easier to appreciate the awesome scale of it when you have the rest of the family to compare it to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast