Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German 17cm gun, battery locations and gun numbering system.

Article about: Hi folks, im in a spot of bother and was wondering if someone could help, i had another post regarding a shell i caught someone throwing away into a dump which i saved without question. I ha

Default German 17cm gun, battery locations and gun numbering system.

Hi folks, im in a spot of bother and was wondering if someone could help, i had another post regarding a shell i caught someone throwing away into a dump which i saved without question.

I have since found out thanks to this site that it was fired from a 17cm kanone made by krupp. This particular shell has a plaque that reads GERMAN 7, CALAIS - DOVER, 1944. I would assume that this shell was fired from one of the 2 German gun batterys (that harrassed Dover) located in Calais that were equipped with this particular gun. The 2 batterys were Griz Nez and Sangatte. There were 7 guns divided between the 2 batterys, 4 at one and 3 at the other.

I am assuming that German 7 (written on the plaque) could be the gun number(7 of 7??), were the guns numbered so i could pin point which battery and how common is this size of shell (possible value)???.

I have added some pics which will hopefully help, note the eagle and swasitka stamped on the bottom.

Ive attached some pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German 17cm gun, battery locations and gun numbering system.   German 17cm gun, battery locations and gun numbering system.  

German 17cm gun, battery locations and gun numbering system.   German 17cm gun, battery locations and gun numbering system.  

German 17cm gun, battery locations and gun numbering system.   German 17cm gun, battery locations and gun numbering system.