Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

German Half Tracks

Article about: Wehrmacht Half tracks I have photographed around Europe

Default German Half Tracks

Wehrmacht Half tracks I have photographed around Europe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Half Tracks   German Half Tracks  

German Half Tracks   German Half Tracks  

German Half Tracks  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Woolgar,
    Only photos 1, 6 and 8 are genuine WW2 german vehicles, the rest are the post 1950-60's Czechoslavakian Tatra OT 810's, but modified in various ways to look WW2 German.

cheers Paul

...a few more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Half Tracks   German Half Tracks  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Good photos and thanks for sharing.

Ditto.

It would’ve been nice to learn more about the why-not from Lennard.....but we get a lot of posts like that.

...perhaps one day Granatwerfer’s rare Watford model will be included.....

Is the 6th photo down at the Polish army museum Warsaw?

Hello, in Saumur :

German Half Tracks

German Half Tracks
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hi Composite,

Sorry that you do you not know the difference between a SdKfz 251 and an OT 810 ? 1; look at the tracks, all steel for the OT 810 and rubber blocks for the 251, 2; the drive sprocket on an OT 810 has teeth for engaging with the track, the 251 does not. 3; The front armour plate on an OT 810 hinges upwards for engine accesss, hence two large hinges on the very front edge of the armour, the 251 does not do this.

Note that photos 2 and 4 of the original group #1 photos still have the original 1950-60's OT 810 bodies fitted, unmodified, the 3rd photo down on photo group #3 is again an OT 810 with and unmodified Czech Army body.

cheers lennard

Mate, do you know the difference between a trials PECOC helmet and a commercially made variant?

To answer your question...no...but I do now and I’m grateful for the informative post you made this time around. Thank you

Hi Composite,
    No, do not know about the helmets, but glad the half-track info was of use to you. There are of course a lot of other differences, if you could see the engine, an OT 810 it would have a Tatra air-cooled diesel whereas the 251 would have a Maybach water-cooled petrol engine .

The Ot 810 came into being because in WW2 Skoda was one of several plants that assembled 251's, the Czechs thought is was a good vehcile and when rearming in the 1950's had Tatra make a similar vehicle. However when all the Eastern European countries had to join the Warsaw Pack they were made re-equip with Soviet vehicles designs, so all OT 810 then bacame surplus and up for sale to private individuals.

cheers lennard

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast