Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

My Tiger I Relic collection

Article about: Ever since I was a little kid I’ve been fascinated by the infamous Tiger I. Right around the time when I was in the 2nd grade or so me and father watched the great movie Kelly’s Hero’s

Default My Tiger I Relic collection

Ever since I was a little kid I’ve been fascinated by the infamous Tiger I. Right around the time when I was in the 2nd grade or so, me and father watched the great movie Kelly’s Heroes. Still to this day it remains one of my all time favorite war films. If you’ve seen the film you’d know the Tiger I had a pivotal role in it, or at least dressed up T34s that were made to resemble Tigers

Anyways, ever since I’ve seen that film there’s been a part of me that is obsessed with the Tiger I. After many years I’m happy to report that I was finally able to satisfy this childhood obsession in the form of battlefield relics.

I recently was able to track down some genuine parts of this iconic vehicle and add them to my collection. Most of them were sourced from Ukraine, but a few of the parts also came from places like Belarus and Latvia. I thought you guys would enjoy looking at some of the parts I was able to get my hands on.

A good deal of the smaller parts were cleaned via sandblasting prior to me getting them. Since they were essentially left in the raw, I decided to primer and paint them. I used a high quality enamel paint, and I have to say I’m quite pleased with with end result.

(Maintenance cover for the cooling fans)
    My Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collection
    (Locking latch for the loaders hatch)
    My Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collection
    (Securing latch for the tow cable)
    (Tooth fragment from one of the front cogs)
    My Tiger I Relic collection
    (Large washer from the shock absorbers)
    (Large battle damaged track link fragment)

Here are a couple more parts

(Armor insertion from the side of the hull)
    My Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collection
    (Fragment of rear idler wheel)

Jarret - mate, you had me on the hook with the thread title!!!!!

GREAT relics - I know they were rusted and all original patina was lost - but being an old modeller, I would 'weather' them with some black wash and a little dry brushing, they will look SO much better IMO ( not that they don't now )

How to Use Paint Washes to Create Depth – Scale Model Guide

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post

GREAT relics - I know they were rusted and all original patina was lost - but being an old modeller, I would 'weather' them with some black wash and a little dry brushing, they will look SO much better IMO ( not that they don't now )

How to Use Paint Washes to Create Depth – Scale Model Guide

Cheers, Dan
    Thank you so much Dan! It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets exited over this old scrap!

I'll certainly have to look into that. The paint I used will come off easily with a bit of acetone if need be. I just applied the primer and enamel paint to keep them from 'Re-Rusting'. It also makes them more pleasant to handle. Thanks for the link! I'll look at it now. I would prefer it if these had a more weathered look myself.

BTW, how in hell did you identify the little broken armour piece and small stuff???
    That would drive me crazy trying to work out where a scrap came from ....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

BTW, how in hell did you identify the little broken armour piece and small stuff???
    That would drive me crazy trying to work out where a scrap came from ....
    Thankfully the sellers I got these from were the ones who identified the small stuff. I would go crazy too if I tried to ID each part on my own.

The famous Tiger 131 in Bovington serves as a wealth of knowledge to armor enthusiasts, as the museum took some very detailed photos during the restoration process.

Here's some video of Tiger 131 being given a runaround, just to put these relics into context. Even better that it runs on an original (rebuilt) engine, so what you hear is what they'd have sounded like back in the day.

The Tiger was far from perfect, with a myriad of mechanical problems, but it's become an iconic tank for a reason!

Regards, B.B.

Thanks for the great link BB!

Out of the seven or so surviving intact Tiger Is, 131 is the only one that functions. Out of the handful that survived I believe 131 is also in the best condition. It a shame, but a good deal of the other intact Tiger Is are left degrading in poor outdoor displays.

131 certainly has a lot going for it. Not only is it the best preserved Tiger I in the world, but I believe Churchill himself crawled on top of it for some propaganda photos.

[QUOTE=Luftwaffe 1941;2156624]Thanks for the great link BB!

Out of the seven or so surviving intact Tiger Is, 131 is the only one that functions. Out of the handful that survived I believe 131 is also in the best condition. It a shame, but a good deal of the other intact Tiger Is are left degrading in poor outdoor displays.

Both Churchill and King George VI were invited to inspect it, and they both did. I was going to upload some photos, but the forum's photo uploader doesn't play ball with Google Chrome for some reason.

You've got a nice collection of relics from a very famous (or should that be infamous?) beast, all the better that you can pin them to specific points on the tank. Aircraft relics are more my thing, but I can't deny the appeal of stuff like this. Scrap metal to most, but gold to those who know better!

Regards, B.B.

Thumbs up

And I'll second that !

Thanks for sharing your relics with us......

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast