Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Panther V pictures

Article about: Hi, Came across these pics and thought I would share them. Sd.Kfz. 171 Pz.Kpfw. (Panzerkampfwagen) Panther V Ausf. G (Ausführung G) mit 7.5-cm-KwK 42 L-70 Sd.Kfz. 171 Pz.Kpfw. (Panzerkampfwa

Great pics

For any who don't know, the Tiger pictured above with turret number 131 at the Tank Museum in Bovington Dorset UK is the only surviving fully functional Tiger in the world having undergone a "tracks up" refurbishment some carried out by the original makers.

More than this though, it was captured in Tunisia in 1943 by a team lead by Major Doug Lidderdale of the British Army Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers after Winston Churchill commanded "Catch me a Tiger"

Having caught the Tiger they drove it to Tunis where it was hidden from German agents trying to get it back then shipped it through the straights of Gibralter harried by U-Boats and the Luftwaffe back to UK. The story only became public a couple of years back when Lidderdale died and his son revealed his fathers wartime diaries!

You couldn't make it up could you?

Apologies to those who already know this but this amazes me and I reckon it would make a better film than "Fury"

Regards

MArk
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Great pics

For any who don't know, the Tiger pictured above with turret number 131 at the Tank Museum in Bovington Dorset UK is the only surviving fully functional Tiger in the world having undergone a "tracks up" refurbishment some carried out by the original makers.

More than this though, it was captured in Tunisia in 1943 by a team lead by Major Doug Lidderdale of the British Army Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers after Winston Churchill commanded "Catch me a Tiger"

Having caught the Tiger they drove it to Tunis where it was hidden from German agents trying to get it back then shipped it through the straights of Gibralter harried by U-Boats and the Luftwaffe back to UK. The story only became public a couple of years back when Lidderdale died and his son revealed his fathers wartime diaries!

You couldn't make it up could you?

Apologies to those who already know this but this amazes me and I reckon it would make a better film than "Fury"

Regards

MArk
    I bought the Haynes Owners Workshop Manual on the Tiger tank last year. It tells the story of 131 in there and there's copious pic's of the strip down and rebuild, a great buy for well under 15 quid.

Regards, Ned.

Panther V pictures
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the explanation re the Panther camo
    scheme. Makes sense now.........

I've recently read about the story of Tiger 131,
    and pulled a few pics from the Net. Below is
    a modern-day pic of the shot that
    disabled her:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panther V pictures   Panther V pictures  

Regards,

Steve.

?

The Catch that Tiger 'comic' is a novel, being passed off as factual. It's hard to believe there are people out there who are still taken in by it.

If you're interested in the facts, contact the Museum.

SF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2